What would you recommend? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2004, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
mission-inc

What would you recommend?

Not a Jeep question, but a question about Rock Rails. My buddy wants to fab up some rock rails for his 1500. He wanted to be able to slam em around on rocks n crap cause his step rails aren't cutting it (I think both are bent outa shape). Anyway, we have a sketch and a good idea on how the final product would look like. We were thinking box tubing for the actual slider. What kind of steel would you recommend? It has to be able to put up to the abuse and weight of a 1500.

Thanks

Oh and I may be able to put a sketch up, but I need a scanner.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country
AW4, NP231, 4.0L I6
7.5" lift, 35's, 8.8 out back, 4.56's, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-21-2004, 11:56 AM
dzp

I would suggest using 3/16" thickness or better on a full size vehicle. 1/4" would probably be good.
I wouuld use a 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1/4" Tube Steel. Or you could use some 2" x 4" or 2" x 6" and let it double as a step. Cover it with some black diamond plate and you would have some strong guards/steps.
Be sure to mount it directly to the frame at several places and allow a little space btwn the body and the rails for flex under strain. About 1/2" should be plenty.
Also, be sure if you bolt it to the frame, put a plate on the inside as a washer to distribute the stress, and dont over tighten them or you will collapse the box frame.

Tyler, Texas
97 TJ, Red, 33" MTR's, Locked F/R, D30/Ford8.8, JKS Disco's, DT3000's, tinted Sailcloth top, 8k Ramsey, Custom bumpers/armor, Ramps 890 on 25degree ramp.

Last edited by dzp; 05-21-2004 at 12:14 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2004, 01:48 PM
jeepmor

rock rails

On my CJ7, I used 2x3 1/4" wall mild steel tubing and welded them to my frame. I've done several 1-2 foot slip drops onto rocks with them and they have not bent, or the frame, one iota in years of this off road abuse. The paint is not so lucky though in the underside. For the application you have in mind, I'd add another leg to the frame for more strength. Mine uses two spuds off the frame, I would recommend you make three.

Also, it might not work for a round sided cab like the chevy's, but make them stick out far enough so you can run them into a tree and spin on them to keep your sheetmetal safe. This is just freaking great on the jeep, changes the way you wheel in tight spots significantly. Especially on rocky off camber climbs.

jeepmor

post #4 of 7 Old 05-23-2004, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
mission-inc

Sounds good. Thanks guys for your input. I'll tell you how it goes.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country
AW4, NP231, 4.0L I6
7.5" lift, 35's, 8.8 out back, 4.56's, etc.

post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2004, 09:06 PM
limecolbyjack

can some one post pics of the homemade sliders/tubes. i want to do the same concept on my 04 tj. or i'll use some 3" tubes. if you have the specs i'd greatly appreciate that also.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Send me an e-mail and I will send you some pix.

I love this crap!!
post #7 of 7 Old 06-15-2004, 07:28 AM
limecolbyjack

rio your email doesnt work. i sent ya a pm. ( wanted to see pics ) click my profile for my email if the pm didnt work thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.