What would u get next - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What would u get next

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
spward

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdude408 View Post
What's a good hobby grade plasma torch for the fab we do? How much would I expect to spend?

The 190 seems like a pretty good do all, I'm not sure what model my dad has, but seems like it would be a good investment. I'm pretty lucky, I can get one of the electricians at work make me up a cord too.

There is a community college that has some welding courses I could take. Think I should look into that? Or just read some books and practice?
I took Saturday classes over the winter and we did Oxy, Stick, Mig and Tig. I think it was only about $250 for 7 weeks, but worth it to get some practice time on several machines to see what I could be good with. I got a steal on the 190 so I picked it over the 210. He was a retired cop that was buying bulk inventory and had about 6 of them to sell, or at least that was his story. Had some plasma units, but the wife told me no.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Bigdude408
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The miller 211 looks foolproof, plus I could use it at my house on 110, then take it to his for the 50amp 220 hookup.
I guess it's good that he has a welder, but being able to play daily will be a valuable learning tool. As of now, I can only make it to his house 2 or 3 times a week.
I might have to look more into those classes though before I buy.
Bigdude408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #18
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdude408 View Post
The miller 211 looks foolproof, plus I could use it at my house on 110, then take it to his for the 50amp 220 hookup.
I guess it's good that he has a welder, but being able to play daily will be a valuable learning tool. As of now, I can only make it to his house 2 or 3 times a week.
I might have to look more into those classes though before I buy.
I like my miller 211... Started out with a 110V miller. It got me by, but only b/c I didn't know what I was missing...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.