What would u get next - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What would u get next

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Bigdude408
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What would u get next

So I was going to buy some bolt ins for my tj, I have about $3500. But then I had the epiphany. I'm 31, and ill get allot of use out of some more fab tools, or adding to my fathers rather and that's where I do all of my work at.
We have all the basic hand and air tools, a good compressor, a 110 mig, and a stick welder that handles up to a 3/16" stick.
I'm really looking into a plasma cutter and a tube bender, but I'm not closed minded for other items. I coulda get bottles for the oxygen acedilin torch, but since I have very little fab experience, I thought a plasma would be easier on me.
I also would need a notcher and any other things I would need for tubing.

As far as purpose, it will be used to repair and modify my jeep, with plans to eventually build a purpose built tube buggy.
It's a open conversation, if u think I'm waisting my time and should just give my money to genright or Psc, just say so. Lol

Thanks in advanced.

Bigdude408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Horizontal band saw.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
AtTheHelm

3500 could get you
Plasma
Bigger welder
Tube bender w one die
Lots of steel

Skip the plasma for more steel and use other cutting methods. (Portaband, angle grinder, cheap skilsaw w a freud D0738F metal cutting blade.

Of course the amount of time you want to spend building is a factor but I say its time well spent..
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Bigdude408
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Think ill need a bigger welder? It's so new to me, I guess I should start with a tube bender and go from there.
I have a chop saw and porta band.
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
AtTheHelm

What kind of machines do you have and is 230 power available where you'll be working?

You can get by with a 140 amp 115v wire feed plugged into a strong 20a plug and some skills.
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Bigdude408
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is only a residential area, there's 220 in my garage for the stick welder
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

while a plasma is awesome, there are other and cheaper ways to cut metal in most any way you can with a plasma.

IMO a decent press if you don't have one already, a 220v mig would be high on my list as well and i do like my bender, but it is really not a tool for everyone as unless you do work for others, you can quickly run out of uses for yourself as it is only good for one thing. a drill press is great to have as well.

i have a well equipped shop so i take it for granted and don't know what should be first on the list, as i use everything frequently. but welder, drill press, and shop press would be the top 3 i think.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Id buy a big wire feed machine- probably a big miller or hobart (something that can push spray-arc), and an Oxy-Acetylene rig- you can do all sorts of stuff with an O/A setup. Do yourself a favor and buy a GOOD mask- I like the Miller titanium series, but if you can afford it, Speedglas is the way to.
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

speed glass is what i use at work and home. great mask.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #10
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Jackson NexGen is my favorite, my guys prefer the Miller elites though.

Shop around for the guys who tried to make a go of CNC plasma cutting, they are letting machines go for cheap. Look at craigslist and ebay.

Look for one that is controlled by Mach3, then you can use oxy/fuel too (later down the road) and not be limited to half inch. Plasmacam only does plasma and is not open source, so upgrades cost $$.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Bigdude408
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the jd2 bender, seems like a good deal and decent equipment. That and atleast 1.75 dies to start. And a notcher ill have 8 or 900 in that. i wouldn't buy one but no one I know has one, and I do plan on making a pipe buggy one day. And I can use it for some motorcycle fab work.

I have a cheap hf 20ton press. I have a 1950something drill press, I haven't played much with but ill see what I can do with it.

I was eyeballing the Hobart 190, but I need to learn, so ill play with what I have and figure out what exactly I'm missing.

Although I really want a plasma, ill fill up the torch bottles, and buy some quality blades. Maybe eventually upgrade but for now ill see if I can get by.
Maybe ill find some good stuff used on Craigslist or something so ill keep my eyes open and ask here for advice before I buy.

I just can't let this money burn a hole in my pocket. My first project will be fixing my frame, the only rot is way back, where the rear bumper mounts to it.

Thanks for all the tips

I was a machinist for 5 years,mostly lathe work. Now I got pushed into the gas industry and I'm maintenance at a gas processing plant. I can allways bring home a porta band, mag base drill, and some other stuff if I need. Pretty good place to work!
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Plasma is great for general cutting...like brackets on a frame or diff, it does great for thin material cutting and the best thing about it is once your done cutting you can just lay the torch anywhere unlike oxy/acet.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
spward

1985 CJ7 

I just picked up a Hobart 190 and love it. Still doing flux-core on it until I get back to dual family income next month and then will get a bottle and start in on sheet metal repairs. Rerouted a 50A circuit the PO had for a hot tub back into my garage and now waiting for my neighbor to make me an extension cord.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Bigdude408
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What's a good hobby grade plasma torch for the fab we do? How much would I expect to spend?

The 190 seems like a pretty good do all, I'm not sure what model my dad has, but seems like it would be a good investment. I'm pretty lucky, I can get one of the electricians at work make me up a cord too.

There is a community college that has some welding courses I could take. Think I should look into that? Or just read some books and practice?
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
AtTheHelm

Take a look at the Hobart Handler 210 mvp. Dual voltage plugs allow for 110 or 220. I just bought one but haven't even opened the box yet which is killing me. Can't wait to be done moving.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.