What welding rods for learning? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What welding rods for learning?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If the rods on question have been exposed to ambient air for much more than a couple weeks NO amount of low temp rebaking will rehabilitate them.

Get some new electrodes, a few dollars spent here could mean the difference in frustration and failure vs confidence and success

FWiw I learned to weld with 1/8" e7018, 8018 h4r and a little 5/32 7028 thrown in too. If you can master arc striking on AC with a 70 or 8018 rod you've pretty much mastered that skill.

posted via IPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think I will buy some brand new rods for practice. I don't want to hinder my self teaching any. Once I get to where I can weld, then I'll try an old rod to see what it does. If it doesn't do anything I'll toss them.
krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #18
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Keep your rod in a seal container will help to keep them dry. Now if you have an old ice chest that has a tight lid. You could make a rod dryer with a light bulb inside. You just drill a hole in the top and hang the light from top and seal the hole. Store your rods inside until you are going to use them.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #19
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Once you get setup and start learning stick welding..turn you're heat up a little hotter and start running flat welds,this way you won't get so frustrated from the rod sticking on you and want to give up like alot of people do when first learning stick rod.
Once you get the hang of starting a rod without sticking you can turn you're heat(amps) back down a little.
Another little trick i use to help out beginners in our apprenticeship classes is put the practice peice on a slight upward angle so the slag will run behind the weld and you will start seeing the actual difference in you're slag and metal..this is where you will start getting GOOD at stick welding once you actualy SEE and KNOW the difference in the 2 ,its what we call having the eye for it.
You're slag puddle will be more of a smooth puddle..the metal will freeze(solidify) with ripples in it..it'll take you a lil while to know what i mean but with some practice you'll see what i mean.

Those who said once a rod(especialy a 7018) is wet is no good anymore is right on the money..the idea is to keep them dry from the get go.

For here at the house i use an old mini fridge with a 40 watt bulb in it to just keep a little warm and moisture out,but if you can find an old all metal fridge or freezer you can put a 100 watt bulb in it to keep them warmer and that also helps in a rod running smoother when it is dry and hot.Thats why we always use rods fresh out of a rod oven with a steady heat of 250 degrees with 7018 when weld testing for a job or a certain quailification...but a 6011 or 6010 is usualy only needed 100 degrees or even less because of the hydrogen needed on those rods

So in a nutshell..store any of you're 6010's in just a rod container like in this pic of what i use for just around here..those light blue containers can be had for around 5.00-10.00 a peice and has a rubber seal to keep moisture out,you can also get away with storing 7018's in those too ,as long you don't let the lids off very long when taking some out needed..you're not taking an A.W.S test or such,,just learning and trying to keep good rods for the practice..
rodfridge.jpg   rodcontainer2.jpg  

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Ironworker! Well, I laid down some beads today on some scrap and even welded some scrap steel together. At first I couldn't strike an arc with some thin metal so I went ahead and pulled in a piece of thicker square tube which wasn't really scrap but that's how I finally got the feel for it. I didn't actually have any problems with the rod sticking except once. I am confident and happy that I got over that hurdle of striking an arc. I was even burning some 6-7 year old 6013 I had in my shed with no problem at all. It really is amazing how dry it is here in NM. Average humidity is 0.1%-LOL My next goal is to try and learn how to run the puddle a bit better. I actually welded some steel together pretty good, but I can't say I was using any specific technique with the puddle. Do you have any tips as to how to assure your running a good bead?
krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #21
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just watch the puddle

The molten steel right behind your slag should have roughly a shape similar to a womans fingernail evenly centered and pointed away from the two pieces being welded

posted via IPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.