What Size/Type Steel for Roll Cage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What Size/Type Steel for Roll Cage?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 08-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
CherryCj7
1979 CJ7 

What Size/Type Steel for Roll Cage?

I am making an Exo-cage for another project that I am working on and was wondering what type of steel to use for it. I am planing on 1.5" diameter and .120" wall, but, should I use DOM tube, or is there an alternative that would still be affective for a better price? I appreciate any and all comments!! Thanks

CherryCj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

1.75" x .120 or .095 is the most common dimension that i see people using. your two options in any size will be welded tubing or DOM. welded tubing has a weld seam running down the inside of it, and you will be able to see a heat mark on the outside of the weld. It is usually not considered to be a true structural tubing but will be enough to hold up for most applications. DOM is a true structural round tube. it is seamless, meaning there is no weld seam on the inside. as well DOM is usually tougher/stronger material being a 1020/26, while welded tubeing (ERW) is usually a 1008/10. most people i see go the route of a ERW tube, simply because it is usually half the price. how ever, most competative auto sports will require DOM or even 4130. if you have the money to spend on it definitely go with the DOM. I'm getting ready to build a cage for my TJ and i will be going the route of the ERW tube. it comes down to what you plan on doing with your jeep. most of us will just have some flops here and there where a full DOM cage isn't necassary. but if youre into hill climbs or something where multiple roll overs are a definite possibility, than DOM will be your best bet
jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

another option i left out is good ol sch 40 black pipe. sometimes its your cheapest option, wont be the strongest and it will be heavy in comparison to the others. just remember the OD on pipe is not consistent with it's given dimension (1 1/4" pipe will be 1.66 on the OD)
jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

From Speedymetals website...

(Drawn Over Mandrel). DOM Steel Tube is produced using uniformly high quality C1020 steel strip and is formed and electric resistance welded into its basic shape. After annealing to produce a uniform grain structure throughout, the tube is then cold drawn over a mandrel to give it these advantages: uniform concentricity around the central axis, better ovality, closer tolerances, denser surface, uniform wall thickness, and higher physical properties. The cold working process works the weld area to produce a sound, dense, and homogeneous structure comparable to that of the base metal. The weld line disappears, causing DOM tube to be virtually seamless. The surface is superior to that of regular seamless tubing, since the material has been cold drawn from strip steel. The hole is straight and concentric with the outside diameter. DOM Steel Tube may be machined, formed, welded, carburized, and subjected to other fabricating techniques that are ordinarily applied to low carbon steel. The use of DOM Steel Tube gives you a guaranteed micro-inch surface and lower productions costs by reducing or eliminating such operations as boring, honing, and finishing.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use HREW. I find I can make nice bends and it welds up real pretty. If I was making sliders Id use black pipe as its cheaper and would bother me less to have to cut it out and replace it. There are many posts argueing which to use. I firmly beleive that the quality of the job is more important than the HREW vs DOM arguement. It would be intresting to know when NASCAR required DOM over HREW.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
KMD
1976 CJ7 

copper
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not exactly a NASCAR fan, but I thought they used 4130 for their cages
Unread 08-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
zachv
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspepp View Post
When you drive 200MPH into a wall it is helpful to have a properly engineered cage around you. For most of what we do, DOM and HREW are fine.

BTW, DOM is not "seamless" as it is still "welded seam" tubing, as BERSK quoted. Good quality HREW will not split a seam and has been used for many structural fabrications.
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspepp View Post
Don't think so, pretty sure it's DOM.
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
cbgb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Don't think so, pretty sure it's DOM.
The main cage is not DOM - required to be 1-3/4" O.D. x .090" minimum thickness, meeting ASTM A-519 specifications.

Last edited by cbgb; 09-06-2012 at 07:28 PM..
cbgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgb View Post
The main cage is not DOM - required to be 1-3/4" O.D. x .090" minimum thickness, meeting ASTM A-519 specifications.
Nope, they use DOM, mild steel, and it's all Mig welded. They've never used Moly. NHRA does, though, and it's very debatable whether it's any better than DOM.

Check out the latest spec Nascar cage for 2013:

Quote:
In the most superficial way, the roll cage in a NASCAR race car hasnít changed in decades. Itís still mild steel seamless DOM tubing, 1.75-inch diameter, .090-in. wall, MIG welded into a very familiar looking assembly. But over the past dozen years, nearly every detail has been agonized, sweated over, and optimized to produce the safest possible structure. In todayís NASCAR, safety is a total process.
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

I just confirmed with a buddy who used to work as a fabricator for Hendrick: Cup cars use DOM, .090", 1 3/4".

The tubing is also ground, to make sure it is exactly. 090 and not any larger. Basically, the tubing is blueprinted.

But no moly cages at all, never have been in Nascar.
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
cbgb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not to be argumentative, but I have been involved in the Nascar Nationwide series since 2005 and have a 2012 Nascar rule book in my hand and under section 20A-18 Roll Bars, it states: "All roll bars described in sub-section 20A-18 must be made from round magnetic steel seamless tubing 1-3/4 inches outside diameter by .090 inch minimum wall thickness meeting the ASTM A-519 specification (alloys other than mild steel will not be permitted). Electric resistance welded tubing, aluminum and/or other soft metals will not be permitted."

DOM tubing is electric resistance welded and falls under ASTM A-513 specifications.

Don't really know what Nascar may have used in the past, it might have been DOM. The main thing is that either of these choices would be fine for a roll cage.
Unread 10-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

"Alloys other than mild steel will not be permitted".

That expressly forbids the use of moly, then.

DOM is mild steel. Don't know about the specification discrepancy......I saw that, too. But according to that article I linked and my friend that actually built these things for Hendrick, DOM is what they use, specially prepped as I described.

Maybe they don't consider DOM to be electrically welded, since it is drawn over a mandrel after that?
Or maybe there's a different spec of DOM?
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
cbgb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
"Alloys other than mild steel will not be permitted".

That expressly forbids the use of moly, then.

DOM is mild steel. Don't know about the specification discrepancy......I saw that, too. But according to that article I linked and my friend that actually built these things for Hendrick, DOM is what they use, specially prepped as I described.

Maybe they don't consider DOM to be electrically welded, since it is drawn over a mandrel after that?
Or maybe there's a different spec of DOM?
Go to www.stockcarsteel.com and on the homepage towards the bottom there are categories for both DOM Steel Tube and Cold Drawn Seamless Tube 1018. Click on the links. There is a good explanation of the characteristics of each type. Maybe your linked article and buddy were just using a generic term. Obviously, I can't speak for either. I do know that stockcarsteel is located right in Mooresville and sells to almost all of the Nascar teams. Notice also that the Nascar mandated seamless tubing, ground and polished, is better than twice the cost of DOM per foot for the same size. Most likely overkill for a Jeep cage.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.