What size metal for armor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What size metal for armor?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
kleinjesse

What size metal for armor?

Looking to fab up some armor for my XJ, but curios as to what thickness of metal y'all are using. 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"?

kleinjesse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Depends on what you are going to armor, and how/where you 4x4.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
kleinjesse

Currently looking to armor my lower rear quarters. I live on the east coast. No rocks for hundreds on miles. However, I suppose the worst that would happen is rubbing against trees
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
AtTheHelm

Are you building these yourself? 3/16 is most commonly used for that type of stuff. It might be a lot easier for you to buy premade ones.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

3/16" for rock rails. I have some 1/4 inch thick rear lower quarter panel guards for behind the rear tires, and that is really over-kill.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
kleinjesse

I intend to build them myself. I just don't have any hands on with previous armor. I was just trying to get a feel for industry standard.
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm using 3/16".
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 12:39 AM   #8
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

There's a couple of 1/4" pieces here and there but mainly I used 3/16" for most of my stuff.

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f2...g-xj-35s-3392/

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

If it doesn't need to bear the weight of your Jeep then 3/16" is plenty. For lower quarter armor 1/8" should be fine. I use 1/4" for anything that needs to take the weight of the Jeep like sliders, bumpers, ect but that's it to keep weight down. If you're not touching rocks you shouldn't need anything 1/4" other than structure on recovery bumpers or tow points.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.