What size air compressor should I buy? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What size air compressor should I buy?

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiHappy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 Center

Unread 03-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #16
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf777 View Post
Whats the deal with the mouture coming out of my a/c? I was using this grinder and my hand was getting wet. I've seen filters of some sort???? I have a release valve in the bottom of the tank(homemade) that I drain and release presure everytime I finish with it, I would imagine if I didn't the tank would be 1/2 full of water by now????
When you use air tools that really put a load on the compressor the air is hotter because the compressor is running more and the hot air causes moisture in the tank. The more the compressor runs the more water will get into the tank.

A larger compressor will cut down on some of this moisture, but not entirely. Drain the tank every day. There are refrigarated air dryers on the market that will take most of the moisture out of the air but they will cost you as much as the compressor. Some compressors, Quincy and Champion are two that I know of, have a built in aftercooler that works pretty good.

If you really want a good useable setup take the advice you've seen from the guys here and get the 2-stage compressor. Now here's a neat trick with the 2-stage. They almost all run at 175 psi. That's really more air pressure than you need for most stuff. So put a regulator on the outlet side of the tank and set it at 120 psi. That pressure will work great. Most of these 2-stage compressors are set to kick on when the tank pressure drops under 140 psi. With the outlet set at 120 psi and the compressor kicking in at 140 psi the compressor doesn't work as hard to maintain your shop air pressure of 120 psi, you've got some reserve this way.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.