What should i do here, if anything? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What should i do here, if anything?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What should i do here, if anything?

Debating on what to do with this. Either: a). Leave it alone, don't worry about it, or b). run a bead of clear silicone along the bracket to frame seam, or c). run a bead of silicone along the bracket to frame seam AND weld the ends shut.

I'm just worried about creating a greenhouse effect and rotting the frame out if I silicone it. On the other hand if I don't seal it then water will sit in there. (That is POR15 underneath Chasis Coat on the frame). Any responses based on experience to this particular application would be appreciated. Thanks

unset-kcdqyvpu.jpg

whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would just leave it alone.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
I would just leave it alone.
Back it up man. Why would ya leave it alone? Tnx.
Unread 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Because using silicone to seal a transfer case drop is pointless. First of all there is hardly a gap (maybe .015-.025). And even if there was a gap water or mud wouldn't be trapped seeing how both surfaces are flat. If you are really worried about it you can change to a different style tease drop. But IMO I would just leave it the way it is.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 02-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
Because using silicone to seal a transfer case drop is pointless. First of all there is hardly a gap (maybe .015-.025). And even if there was a gap water or mud wouldn't be trapped seeing how both surfaces are flat. If you are really worried about it you can change to a different style tease drop. But IMO I would just leave it the way it is.
Thanks for the feedback. Gotta respectfully disagree however. Water will whick and get in the smallest openings. Would love to hear from someone that had this same setup that removed it after some years. I do have the POR15 on there, but this is my first experience with it, so no idea if it breaks down or anything.
Unread 02-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Por15 won't break down anytime soon if at all. From the factory your skid plate is bolted against your frame just like your transfer case drop is. It wouldn't hurt anything to put silicone on but I honestly don't think it would make a big enough difference.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, you probably right. P.S. I had the individual pillar style drop you reffered to from the PO. I think the bracket looks nicer. Heck, ill probably get a SYE in there before its ever an issue! Lol
Unread 02-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cap one end, pour some hot boiled linseed oil in and cap the other side, slosh it around. That should stem off any rust for years.
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #9
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Main area of concern is bracket to frame and its result on the frame. Not that worried about cheap bracket to do all that work.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.