What material for fabbing wheel wells on an XJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What material for fabbing wheel wells on an XJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

What material for fabbing wheel wells on an XJ?

Anyone fab up their own wheel wells on an XJ? I'm making 35's fit with about 3" of lift and no bumpstops so I'm cutting out and rebuilding the rear wheel wells - any thoughts on thickness of material?

EDIT: I'll probably go with the factory thickness but right now I'm just looking for feedback.

Thanks

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have no idea if this would work in your application but trailer fenders are cheap and at your local farm store usually. They get used all the time on lowered vehicles
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I helped my brother do some in his yota. We used some 16ga because it was what I had laying in the garage. Definitely not bodyman workmanship, but we got it done.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATFENDER54 View Post
I have no idea if this would work in your application but trailer fenders are cheap and at your local farm store usually. They get used all the time on lowered vehicles
I looked at these but when you get up to the size I'm looking at to fit a 35" tire they start getting pretty pricey (online is cheaper but shipping kills the deal) - as opposed to straight sheet. I'm actually going to head to the metal recycling place and see what they have laying around if not I can pick up a 4' x 6' sheet of 20ga for ~$60 and this will leave some left to do something with the dash.

Thanks E ROCK that's about what I'll be doing!

I did see some old street signs at the recycling place - any reason these wouldn't work?

COTM - October 2012!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
jmitywhitey
1988 MJ Comanche 

they should work just make sure they are steel or you will have a heck of a time cutting and welding
jmitywhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What are you going to do to the wheel wells? You can't really raise them without going into the door.
Unread 11-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #7
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is my buddies trim on an XJ. He is 87Xota on the board.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2367

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
What are you going to do to the wheel wells? You can't really raise them without going into the door.
I have a two door so there's all kinds of room to cut some metal out of there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ROCK View Post
This is my buddies trim on an XJ. He is 87Xota on the board.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2367
Thanks E_ROCK and I've spent a lot of time on that site; it's a great site with lots of info; I really like the gear write ups, I've used them more than once...

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.