what kind of welder??? if you weld please look at this and give your input - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > what kind of welder??? if you weld please look at this and give your input

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #31
Alkaline
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
Miller Maxstar 150STL. 110v/220v auto sensing, stick and tig. Small, durable, and high quality. All you will need is a bottle.
Those are great little welders! I love it for the portability in quick field repairs, it's smaller than my lunch box...... I sling it over my shoulder and plug it into an extension cord when welding stick up on the roof at work.

They actually perform very well on 110v TIG stainless too, it surprised me in how forgiving it is with fouled tungsten and dirty parts. The welds are comparable to any of the shop welders.

'98 TJ (toy), '91 XJ Briarwood(DD)
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #32
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastheJeeper View Post
X2. Its such a great welder. What are you using for gas? I has a tri mix of Argon, Helium and Oxygen.
you are spending a lot of money for no benefit when welding mild steel.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #33
DallastheJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey
you are spending a lot of money for no benefit when welding mild steel.
On the welder or gas?
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #34
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
Going by the chart that came with my HH, it says the thickest it can burn is with .35 flux. I cant remember all the science, its been a while since I read up on it, basically the flux burns hotter. I cant speak for 220v units though.
.035 flux is good, the wire itself is around .030. If you have .035 gas wire, you lose quite a bit of penetration. Especially the argon/co2 mix. Even .030 runs fairly cool with argon mix. Running 100% Co2 with .030 is the best combo for the 140, IMO.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #35
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
.035 flux is good, the wire itself is around .030. If you have .035 gas wire, you lose quite a bit of penetration. Especially the argon/co2 mix. Even .030 runs fairly cool with argon mix. Running 100% Co2 with .030 is the best combo for the 140, IMO.
I'll have to try that out one day when I get a tank. I like the ease of flux but cleanup sucks.
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #36
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
I'll have to try that out one day when I get a tank. I like the ease of flux but cleanup sucks.
Yeah, but you get the most penetration from flux. No gas to cool the puddle. Give it a try and see how you like it. If you were closer I'd bring over a bottle.

But even with Co2 you get a bit of spatter. My Lincoln regulator did not like the Co2 alone, so I went with the 75/25.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #37
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
Yeah, but you get the most penetration from flux. No gas to cool the puddle. Give it a try and see how you like it. If you were closer I'd bring over a bottle.

But even with Co2 you get a bit of spatter. My Lincoln regulator did not like the Co2 alone, so I went with the 75/25.
Honestly, penetration was all I was worried about and thts why I said what I did about the flux earlier. I can clean up splatter, cant clean up a weak weld.
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #38
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I run 0.030 flux-core and .023/4 with 75/25 mix in my HH140. even tried 75/25 with flux-core a few times. needed the little wire for tub repair after cutting a hole to fix a busted body mount bolt....worked great on the thin stuff.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #39
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do not get a Clarke they are out of business and will not be coming back.
Get a miller!!!
I know this is always a hot debate but a copper core clarke/craftsman welder 180en is still in production through sears, where I get all my parts. Clarke is out of business as I said above my pictures but Craftsman is not. Its copper core transformer and made in italy (not a lowest bidder country) and built really well. you wont find a miller/hobart near the 300 dollar price range for a solid 180 amp welder...

OTHERWISE get a hobart handler 187, that would have been my choice had I not scored my welder for so cheap. Its awesome and there are guys on pirate 4x4 using the same welder to build full size truck bumpers. They are awesome, take it from someone that owns one.

Air Force Loadmaster/Air Force Jeep Club [B]#12[/B]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
julietkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #40
steelmillman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of the flux core wires actually have a higher tensil strength than " hard wire ". The better flux cores also use a gas shield. Your local welding supply store guy could give you the details. But flux core is also more difficult to handle for an inexperienced welder. However, if you get good at it, you can run beads that are stronger, and look just as nice as hardwire beads.

Definately a 220V machine for any suspension work. It's Miller all the way for me! They cost a little more, but they last forever....resale value is also better....

I've been welding professionally for 20some years.
steelmillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #41
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here is a rokmen DIY front bumper I just did for a friend...
Used and Old (+10 year) Craftsman 120v Mig welder. It was their top dog in the 120 line.
Flux core. could have tied in the edges better... but works for me. I would get a 220v if I didn't get this one for free!

bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #42
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had a Hobart 135 amp 110v welder that was fine until I started trying to weld bigger surface area 3/16" steel skidplates where it just flat ran out of steam. It was so frustrating because it was really difficult to get the penetration I needed without being able to bevel what I was welding. That welder was sold and I replaced it with a Miller 180 amp 220v welder that I am more than happy with as it can weld anything that I could ever need to on my Jeep. Wiring up my 220v outlet in the garage was well worth the effort to have peace of mind that I'm no longer going to be exceeding the practical limits of my previous 110v Hobart.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #43
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
On the welder or gas?
Gas.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #44
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a HH140 that I use .30 flux wire in running it at 90-100 amp range. I can weld on semi axles and not have the weld to break. Granted I did 2 passes on both sides of the part I was working on. This was running off a generator too.

For those who are having problem with slag with flux core you are not running hot enough. A little more heat and you can stay ahead of the slag so it will not mess up your welds. Then your clean up is easy because most of or if not all of the slag is on top of the weld. I use a gasket removal scrapper to get rid of the spatter from around where I was welding on the horizontal.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #45
steelmillman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
I have a HH140 that I use .30 flux wire in running it at 90-100 amp range. I can weld on semi axles and not have the weld to break. Granted I did 2 passes on both sides of the part I was working on. This was running off a generator too.

For those who are having problem with slag with flux core you are not running hot enough. A little more heat and you can stay ahead of the slag so it will not mess up your welds. Then your clean up is easy because most of or if not all of the slag is on top of the weld. I use a gasket removal scrapper to get rid of the spatter from around where I was welding on the horizontal.
That's exactly right. The number one problem I see with junior welders running flux core ( or 1718 rods ), is not running hot enough. Also, alot of people just starting out in welding don't realize that you have to run fluxcore wire uphill, or the slag will run into your weld and mess things up. Going too fast is also a common problem, you have to stay in your puddle!

I would urge people to try the duel shield ultra fluxcore wire. When you have the welder set up right it will run with no spatter at all! The slag falls right off, and the bead looks just like glass! And it's a structural wire, the welds are very strong.

There's lots of people who own welders, who really don't know the first thing about welding. Most people can stick two pieces of metal together with a little practice. But I think that I could speak for all of the experienced welders on here, in urging new welders to take a vo-tech course and learn some fundamentals, because the methods that you are using may be flawed, and your welds may not be as strong as you think they are!
steelmillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.