what kind of welder??? if you weld please look at this and give your input - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > what kind of welder??? if you weld please look at this and give your input

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #16
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I went with a Hobart 140. It has done everything I asked it to up to 1/4"(with proper prep). I have done bumpers, axle brackets, misc brackets and parts during my SOA on my YJ. I have alot of trigger time with this welder and for teh money it welds VERY nice. I have reason to believe that the duty cycle is under rated as I have done some long beads with it maxed out and have yet to have it time out. If money was no object I would get the Hobart 210 for more power, but the 140 has done everything I need and since it runs on 110 it very portable.

Also, I just recently built a welding cart for it. The link is in my sig....

My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_guy View Post
Not meaning this in a negative way; if you have never welded, I would suggest looking into a Votech program and get some hands on before taking on projects like suspension parts etc.
I dont disagree with this at all, however, with some practice, Mig is very forgiving. My first real project was my rear bumper/tire carrier (Ive had no formal training, just lots of reading). It turned out great. 3/16 all around and carries my 35" tire, hi-lift and Jerry Can with no problems. I used the clevis mounts to pull a 4 door JK over 2 obstacles last time we went wheeling. It was the make or break test for my welds. Passed with flying colors.

Practice and make sure youre getting proper penetration. I would be hesitant to weld 1/4" with anything 110v but trust it to do 3/16" all day long.

My bumper build is in my sig if you want to see how a novice welder with no experience, some research and a good Mig can turn metal into something useful.
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #18
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Miller Maxstar 150STL. 110v/220v auto sensing, stick and tig. Small, durable, and high quality. All you will need is a bottle.
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

IF you have 220 in your garage, get a 220. The versatility will pay for itself in the long run. Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, they are all good. I have a Lincoln 175 with 75/25 gas. It's tuned very well and I'm very comfortable with the controls.

However, if you want a 110 only, get the Miller or Hobart 140, and run it with .030 wire and 100% Co2. Very nice machine, and will do most everything on your Jeep except weld inner Cs on.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
However, if you want a 110 only, get the Miller or Hobart 140, and run it with .035 flux wire. Very nice machine, and will do most everything on your Jeep except weld inner Cs on.
Thats better. Not as pretty but cheaper and more bang for the buck.
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am just a hobbyist and really only work on my projects on the weekends, so if I need to buy something for my project I wanted to have a store that would have supplies in stock. I know Lowes carries Lincoln and Tractor Supply carries Hobart. I bought a Lincoln off craigslist that was almost brand new and really like it. I would go with Lincoln, Miller or Hobart but would no doubt set it up for a mig welding (with gas)
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #22
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
Thats better. Not as pretty but cheaper and more bang for the buck.

I've found the smaller units do better on .030 with gas wire. The thicker the wire, the more amps it takes.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #23
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a Miller 210 and I love it...it's more than I need, so I keep it dialed back pretty far, but I won't ever run out of welder capacity. I did a lot of research before I bought one, and decided that a simple MIG machine would do pretty much anything I really wanted to do.

My wife is actually better at welding than I am, and she wants a TIG machine. Gosh, it sucks to buy tools for hot women.

My suggestion: determine your realistic needs, check the fab threads, and read LOTS of reviews. Then get a machine from a reputable manufacturer that will handle 25% more than you think you'll be working with. Also, practice more than I do so your wife's work doesn't shame you.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #24
DallastheJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietkilo View Post
180 amp will do pretty much all you need, i found a brand going out of business on ebay last year and bought a mig 180 amp built in italy and has all the same consumables as lincoln (easy to get parts) and craftsman makes the same unit and you can get parts through sears.

I bought the welder for 275, its a beast and a 220 unit. its called clarke 180en the craftsman is also 180en. I just checked they are on ebay for 280 still.

Do not get a Clarke they are out of business and will not be coming back.
Get a miller!!!
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #25
DallastheJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can also get a smaller welder and get a trimix gas that has oxygen. The oxygen raises the heat so you can do more with your smaller welder. My Fav welder is a millermatic 180. I was the first person in wisconsin to own one so i was pretty proud of myself. What I would look for in a welder is having infinite controls and having frequency that feels good to you. I have used a couple knock off brand welders and the frequency feels like crap. By frequency im talking about how fast and smooth the current alternates.

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
3.5" Sus Lift

#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #26
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
I've found the smaller units do better on .030 with gas wire. The thicker the wire, the more amps it takes.
Going by the chart that came with my HH, it says the thickest it can burn is with .35 flux. I cant remember all the science, its been a while since I read up on it, basically the flux burns hotter. I cant speak for 220v units though.
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #27
DallastheJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
Going by the chart that came with my HH, it says the thickest it can burn is with .35 flux. I cant remember all the science, its been a while since I read up on it, basically the flux burns hotter. I cant speak for 220v units though.
If you are inside you are better of using a shielding gas.
Disadvantages of flux core: It can produce excessive, noxious smoke (making it difficult to see the weld pool); under some conditions it can produce welds with inferior mechanical properties; the slag is often difficult and time-consuming to remove.

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
3.5" Sus Lift

Unread 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #28
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i have a millermatic 180 and love it, for everything from roll cages down to sheetmetal, to 1/2 plate

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #29
DallastheJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
i have a millermatic 180 and love it, for everything from roll cages down to sheetmetal, to 1/2 plate
X2. Its such a great welder. What are you using for gas? I has a tri mix of Argon, Helium and Oxygen.

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
3.5" Sus Lift

Unread 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #30
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastheJeeper View Post
the slag is often difficult and time-consuming to remove.
Yes it is. Completely agree on that one.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.