what kind of welder??? if you weld please look at this and give your input - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > what kind of welder??? if you weld please look at this and give your input

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what kind of welder??? if you weld please look at this and give your input

hey guys im looking into buying a welder, but i dont have a ton of cash to put into it.

im looking to do stuff such as make frame brackets and weld them to the frame, also would like to be able to make my own long arms and build a 4 link triangulated setup for the rear, and also build a roll cage.

i dont need the fancyest one in the world, and i honestly CAN handle a 10% duty cycle.

Unread 03-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
justanotherjpr

I have a Hobart Handler 140. Works great for me, but I'm new to welding. I have a friend that's pretty good and he likes it better than his (other brand) machine. I gave $500 for it brand new including shipping and a cart from www.northerntool.com

Edit: Here's the link : http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6073_200306073
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
ForumKing
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Once you determine which welder you want make sure you check out craigslist. I've found plenty of good tools for cheap on there.
ForumKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ok so how many amps and what size/type of wire would i need to use for cages/control arms/ and brackets??
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
jpsjp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

quick input.... www.searchtempest.com

It searches all of craigslist within a range you pick all at once. No more getting into a city and looking, the getting out and picking another city etc.... Its a FAST way to search all of craigslist in a range.

Do you want a 220 welder or a 110. ? Do you have 220 at your house?
2004 TJ, 4" lift (Daystar upper and lower; Rubicon express springs and track bars), 35" Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar, 4.88 gears and rear Tracloc locker, 4.0 with intake and throttle body, Transgo shift kit, Front axle is high pinion Dana 30, Rear is Dana 44 w/ Disc brakes, Currie Front Anti-rock sway-bar.
jpsjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yes i have 220, but would prefer to use 110. i think.... i dont know much about this, and ive never welded, but i want to learn and just dont wanna buy something that wont weld what im looking to do, also dont want to buy something that i dont NEED....
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

180 amp will do pretty much all you need, i found a brand going out of business on ebay last year and bought a mig 180 amp built in italy and has all the same consumables as lincoln (easy to get parts) and craftsman makes the same unit and you can get parts through sears.

I bought the welder for 275, its a beast and a 220 unit. its called clarke 180en the craftsman is also 180en. I just checked they are on ebay for 280 still.

Air Force Loadmaster/Air Force Jeep Club [B]#12[/B]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
julietkilo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ok, another question do i need to use gas for what i want to do??
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not a welder, but I've been hobbyist welding for about 8 or 9 years now. I bought a Millermatic 180, I can go manual or auto set based on thickness and adjust from there. It is a 220V unit, and I use Argon/CO2 gas. You will need a welder that can handle up to at least 3/8 thickness material, and I would strongly recommend gas. I feel I get good results with this unit. Here's a link to a bumper build I did for my 04 Rubicon on Oahu Jeepers forum: http://oahujeepers.proboards.com/ind...ad=5456&page=1

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #10
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
I'm not a welder, but I've been hobbyist welding for about 8 or 9 years now. I bought a Millermatic 180, I can go manual or auto set based on thickness and adjust from there. It is a 220V unit, and I use Argon/CO2 gas. You will need a welder that can handle up to at least 3/8 thickness material, and I would strongly recommend gas. I feel I get good results with this unit. Here's a link to a bumper build I did for my 04 Rubicon on Oahu Jeepers forum: http://oahujeepers.proboards.com/ind...ad=5456&page=1
Very nice build, that's what I'm looking to be doing
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:18 AM   #11
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Look in the fabrication thread there is a sticky on buying welders & lots of good info. I will say go 220v and Miller, Lincoln, Hobart & ESAB.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #12
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Look in the fabrication thread there is a sticky on buying welders & lots of good info. I will say go 220v and Miller, Lincoln, Hobart & ESAB.
^ This. Tons of info and debate about welders in the Fab forum. This is TJ Tech. I ended up with a HH140. Suits my needs for now. I would like a 220V unit sometime in the future.
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #13
happy_guy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not meaning this in a negative way; if you have never welded, I would suggest looking into a Votech program and get some hands on before taking on projects like suspension parts etc.
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
pilotkc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I recently went through the same process of deciding and buying a welder. I ended up going with the Miller 211 Autoset. My reasons for buying were:
1) Can use it on 110 or 220 with the same cord. This allows for using 110 where that's the only thing available or using 220 when you need to weld some thicker stuff.
2) Miller has a good reputation for quality products. We have a few Miller welders at work and have had good service from them.
3) Small enough to haul around if needed.
4) Don't think I'll need to upgrade to a bigger/better welder later. Can weld up to 3/8" steel.
5) Have 4 Miller dealers in a 15 mile radius, so if I need anything, they're not far.

I would definitely recommend getting a gas bottle. It only added around $140 to the purchase (if the welder is set up for it) and the resulting weld is much cleaner than if you use flux core wire. That probably makes a bigger difference than anything as far a weld quality.
pilotkc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
^ This. Tons of info and debate about welders in the Fab forum. This is TJ Tech. I ended up with a HH140. Suits my needs for now. I would like a 220V unit sometime in the future.
x2. I have a Hobart Handler 140 and use it all the time. I've used 220V Miller & Lincoln's as well, all nice. Definitely go Hobart, Lincoln or Miller, I think Miller is probably the best, but its also the most expensive. My HH140 does what I need at this point, but I wouldn't use it for suspension arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_guy View Post
Not meaning this in a negative way; if you have never welded, I would suggest looking into a Votech program and get some hands on before taking on projects like suspension parts etc.
x2 on this. Get some education, don't just start slapping metal together. Read the fab forum.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.