What in the heck metal is this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What in the heck metal is this?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
outbackmatt

What in the heck metal is this?

So my favorite drill press was missing a handle and the other two were loose or bent. I like the old hard working machine and decided to build new handles out of 3/8" steel round bar. When I welded them into the handle holder mount on the drill press I noticed the metal was acting odd and not penetrating. It acted like they are dissimilar metals. As I was wrapping duct tape around the ends of the handles to make grips, the handle popped right out in my hand... with the weld still attached! I was able to make decent looking welds but turns out it only penetrated to the handles. I ground the metal down prior to welding. While welding there was no smoke or unusual fumes.

The handle holder is magnetic. What type of metal would they have made it out of that I cant weld to it?

Now I am really screwed. I drilled out the threads in the handle holder with plans of welding in the new handles.

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

sounds like its time for jb weld.
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
outbackmatt

That might actually work! The handles go in about 5/8" and they hold alright when using them. I just need to keep them from falling out.
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
outbackmatt

I'm real curious about this metal. I've never come across a magnetic metal that would not weld. :? Could it be stainless and the carbon steel wire I used made a brittle weld that only fused to the mild steel rod?

When I ground the metal prior to welding I noticed almost a hint of bronze color shine through. Whatever it is the material is very soft and grinds fast.

I know that it's not cast iron or aluminum.
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible to drill through the center hub and handles and the secure them with roll pins? That's what I did with the starter stud on the bellhousing of my YJ when the threads stripped out of the aluminum.
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
outbackmatt

Good idea!
Unread 04-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
paintballtruck
1979 J-Series Truck 

its probably brass i would do the roll pin method to hold your new handles in you could also use some 3/8id fuel line or coolant hose to make your grips on there
paintballtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
outbackmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballtruck View Post
you could also use some 3/8id fuel line or coolant hose to make your grips on there
Another great idea! People use to come in the shop and laugh about my duct tape handle grips but hey it works. lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.