What do you think about this model HF bender? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What do you think about this model HF bender?

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 06-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

What do you think about this model HF bender?

Looking to buy this bender for $40 from someone locally. Whatcha think? Basically, I plan on making the occasional stinger bumper, rock sliders, and eventually making my factory CJ cage in to a full cage. I understand this is HF stuff, and I generally stay away from ALL HF stuff, but for the price I think it is hard to go wrong. It will get very slight, occasional use. Thoughts???

12 Ton Hydraulic Pipe Bender

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

if you want to bend PIPE, its fine. if you want to bend TUBE, it's the wrong tool. smart people build cages out of TUBE.

these are TUBE benders:
JD Squared, Inc.
Pipe Bending Machine, Tube Benders, Square Tubing Bender
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
if you want to bend PIPE, its fine. if you want to bend TUBE, it's the wrong tool. smart people build cages out of TUBE.

these are TUBE benders:
JD Squared, Inc.
Gotcha! Glad I didnt buy this yet! Thanks!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Yea, you would be swearing up a storm after the first bend leaves a nice kink in the tube.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

these are TUBE benders:
JD Squared, Inc.
Fill us in on the difference between PIPE and TUBE besides the I.D. and O.D. measurements and why only "smart" people use TUBE

The only difference in being smart or not is buyin PIPE dies for PIPE,and buying TUBE dies for TUBE,,they are both made of the same process and material....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Fill us in on the difference between PIPE and TUBE besides the I.D. and O.D. measurements and why only "smart" people use TUBE

The only difference in being smart or not is buyin PIPE dies for PIPE,and buying TUBE dies for TUBE,,they are both made of the same process and material....
So you're saying Schedule 40 is the same as Drawn Over Mandrel? I know you know better, but thats basically what you just stated.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So you're saying Schedule 40 is the same as Drawn Over Mandrel? I know you know better, but thats basically what you just stated.

You never mentioned DOM tubing?

There is welded tubing out there that some people use on a budget too..and there is DOM PIPE used for high pressure pipe applications in mild steel,stainless and other material,i'm kind of like a Marine at times..IMPROVISE.. as long as the material is just as strong or stronger when it can be bought or had cheaper,or better yet..FREE ,when it's sitting in a scrap bin

To the OP..i have the HF pipe bender i use at times for just property gates i build for farmers and hunting property owners around here,yes it will kink the pipe unless using the old sand method which is time consuming and a PITA to do.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

I bent this with a HF pipe bender:

Of course, there were no 90's in this, but the pipe had minimal kinking. It worked for me, and I did not do the sand or water or oil packing. I think it depends on what you want to do with it. This worked for me.

Edit: I used sch40 pipe for this. We had it laying around work, so I figured, what the heck?
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
baldeagle1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

use a hf bender for bumpers,sliders,and a stinger. just use sand and it doesn;t kink. would use a jd2 but just cant afford it.
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet44 View Post
I bent this with a HF pipe bender:

Of course, there were no 90's in this, but the pipe had minimal kinking. It worked for me, and I did not do the sand or water or oil packing. I think it depends on what you want to do with it. This worked for me.

Edit: I used sch40 pipe for this. We had it laying around work, so I figured, what the heck?
It's meant for sch. 40 pipe: it's not meant for DOM: It doesn't kink pipe, with or without sand (at least not much)... it's fine for what you used it for, but when it comes to a life safety issue (cages) the stakes go way up...
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

not to mention none of the dies are the right size for tubing.

You can make a cage fine out of sch40 pipe, many people do. Many sanctioning race bodies allow it also. If you want to make bumpers sliders, tire carriers and all that it will work ok with pipe. If you want to bend it further or make race legal cages you want a better bender, either a plain rotary draw, or any mandrel bender. For casual cages and such out of pipe, it will probably work, just not be as pretty, or quite as strong.

If you want to bend tube, get a bender with tube dies, if you want to bend pipe get pipe dies. You can get fine results from a pressure bender with the right dies. The HF bender has cheap(er) dies and they will not be as good as others, and the stationary bars really need to be sized dies also for good results.

Just remember to get the right material for the bender, or visa versa.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

Yep, it is for pipe only. But if the OP can get one for $40, why not?
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You could use it for running pipe air lines in your garage too.
Years back I made some safari racks for XJs with black pipe they turned out highly functional.

There are safer but more expensive options for roll cages.
Pipe is not as strong as HREW tubing, DOM is even stronger.
Chromoly DOM 4130 is even stronger but has to be welded correctly and is the more expensive option.
I use the cheap pipe for non-load bearing applications in general fabrication around our shop.
The expensive DOM tubing is used for things that protect me when I roll at high speed.

Buying tube dies alone suck at generally $250 each.
tangotag is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.