What to build with this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What to build with this?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
TEXASRAM

What to build with this?

Thought I was getting 2 free 5' foot sections of 2x4x 3/8 square tubing to build my rock sliders? Turns out their 3x4x 3/8, seems to heavy for sliders, could I build a rear bumper / swing out tire carrier? or would this be to heavy also? Don't want the pieces to go to waste? Anybody have any ideas?

1995 JEEP Wrangler, 4.0 H.O. , IL6 4x4, White/Spice, Auto, Custom Center Console, Homemade Cold-Air Intake, 31x10.50x15 MT, Rubicon fenderflares, Black Denim Bestop Supertop, FlowMaster Exhaust, Hi-Flow Cat, 2" Performance Accessories Body Lift, Custom front bumper

homemade xtras to come.... rear bumper w/ tire carrier, rock sliders.........

"DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"
TEXASRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASRAM View Post
Thought I was getting 2 free 5' foot sections of 2x4x 3/8 square tubing to build my rock sliders? Turns out their 3x4x 3/8, seems to heavy for sliders, could I build a rear bumper / swing out tire carrier? or would this be to heavy also? Don't want the pieces to go to waste? Anybody have any ideas?
That is some heavy stuff. Can you trade it? I see noplace the 3/8" material in the form of 3"X4" rect tubing could be used on a Jeep. 3/16" is the most popular size.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASRAM View Post
I thought I was getting 2 free 5' foot sections of 2x4x 3/8 square tubing to build my rock sliders. Turns out their 3x4x 3/8, seems to heavy for sliders. Could I build a rear bumper / swing out tire carrier or would this be too heavy? I don't want the pieces to go to waste. Anybody have any ideas?
^fixed

1. Stop using so many question marks
2. You can still use it for either bumper, but they are going to weigh a ton. They should be pretty damn stout. 3/16 and 1/4 wold be a more popular choice, but it doesn't mean they're unusable.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
TEXASRAM

what to build?

My mistake, they are 3/16 NOT 3/8. How's about now?
1995 JEEP Wrangler, 4.0 H.O. , IL6 4x4, White/Spice, Auto, Custom Center Console, Homemade Cold-Air Intake, 31x10.50x15 MT, Rubicon fenderflares, Black Denim Bestop Supertop, FlowMaster Exhaust, Hi-Flow Cat, 2" Performance Accessories Body Lift, Custom front bumper

"DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"
Unread 04-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like bumpers are in store....
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Time for bumpers. 3/16 is more than enough.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
TEXASRAM

3x4x 3/16

I guess my main concern is the combined weight of this bumper with a 2x2x 3/16 swing out tire carrier mounted to it while holding a 33x12.50. Thanks for your help.

"DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"
Unread 04-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah it will be more than enough. that will hold up to atleast a 37" tire with the right latch and spindle to swing the tire carrier out.

With your 33" tire you could also mount a rack on the swing out carrier
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.