what is the best free cad type software youve found and where was it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > what is the best free cad type software youve found and where was it?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
chainbrain2002
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what is the best free cad type software youve found and where was it?

hey everyone, im just wondering if anyone has found some good online source for computer assisted drafting software. if there is any way that you could post a short review about it and where you found it that would be terrific. thanks everyone.

chainbrain2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I teach Design in grades 8 to 12. I currently run 3 Linux labs and servers and will be doing a lab up in Win XP in a month or so. I use an older app called CadKey 19 for Windows and run it in Linux perfectly. The program is rock solid and very powerful for such a small install. It is parametrics based and 2D/3D. Student purchases are often very inexpensive. It has recently been purchased by a Japanese company called KeyCad. I used CadKey for my Garage Build Drawing: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/n...94/index2.html Low down on this page is my CadKey design.

Free is difficult... QCAD is 2D and used to be a free package if I remember but now seems to have a fee. A purchase price of 44 Euros doesn't seem too much and you can load a demo to try out.

Google Sketchup is free for windows and may do what you want.

Jim

Last edited by jeepsterjc; 01-07-2010 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: more info
jeepsterjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
jhoff
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am a landscape designer and use land CAD programs that have a high price tag. But for quick visuals, i like to use google sketchup. it has aps for lumber, steel ,auto parts and a lot of other things that you can get off of the net. It can be found at sketchup.google.com , I hope that helps.
jhoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
94WorknProgress
1994 YJ Wrangler 

x2 on sketchup. google is awesome.
94WorknProgress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
dwilliamsceg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94WorknProgress View Post
x2 on sketchup. google is awesome.
x3

10char
dwilliamsceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
finalreckoning
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Google sketchup works for me!
And it has a good online community!
Green Jeep Member #273
High School Jeepers #169
finalreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
mosnar87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you are a student or educator just go here Autodesk Students and Educators Community and sign up! Lots of free software to play with.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
-JOHN F. KENNEDY
mosnar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I use Google Sketchup. Its awesome and free.

Tags
cad , design , google , sketchup , software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.