weldless diy safrai rack questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > weldless diy safrai rack questions

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
cnacowboy
1999 WJ 

weldless diy safrai rack questions

Ive red a few posts and am going to try and make a weldless safarai rack for my 99 WJ. My mesurments are going to be 40 x 60 and the walls are going to either be 8 or 12 inches tall. Im using 1/2 in EMT conduit also, Im trying to be cheap as possibe due to me getting married the 29th of this month and having 3 kids lol. so now my questions

1 I know how im going to mount my rack to my factory rack so tha'ts done. but was wondering how do i mount the walls to the top and bottom of my basket??? I have some ideas like flating out the ends and and wraping them over the top and bottom. another idea i had was mounting it like a trusset like on a bridge. or i can drill holes and mount a nut inside and have bolts hold it together. so any ideas??

2 how strong would 1/2 in conduit be compared to 3/4 inch??
Im going to make this basket for when i take the family camping so whats going to be up there in the basket is like coolers, tents, clothes, rope, sleeping bags ect.

cnacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
cnacowboy
1999 WJ 

someone gave me the idea of making it out of 1 1/8 exhaust pipe what would be ur feeling about that???
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
AtTheHelm

I've see people flatten out conduit and use rivets to fasten. Another idea would be to cut out pieces of road sign or something similar for the side walls.
1/2" conduit is pretty weak stuff. Not saying it won't work but keep in mind the results of it failing on the freeway...
Good luck!
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
cnacowboy
1999 WJ 

what about using 3/4 conduit
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

EMT Conduit isn't very strong but it is cheap... Definately look at 3/4 or even 1 inch; I think you will find that 1/2 is just not enough. Whatever size you settle on you will have to buy/borrow a bender made for EMT. Home Depot and Lowes have them; I think $35 for a 3/4 inch but don't quote me. If you don't use a bender, the tubing will just collapse. Exhaust pipe is even weaker and besides... how would you bend it? If you are planning on upper and lower tubes, and covered by some kind of plate, you can use aluminum plate and just pop rivet the plate to the tubes. Use lots of rivets... 2-inch on center, max.

Understand that this design will definately have its limitations, but it will be cheap. And it will probably work if you only use it for light loads, like a tent and some sleeping bags. Can't imagine it holding up a full ice chest or a spare tire. Good luck.
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
cnacowboy
1999 WJ 

thats cool im only putting tents , sleeping gear maybe a cooler, lantern ect just light stuff. im going to to use 1/2 conduit as thats was give to me. so all ill have in it is about30 bucks. So if it holds up great and if not it will a a trail and error thing and i can use it as a template. now that 1 1/8 exhaust pipe that guy told me about seems pretty thick and he said would hold up fine.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

I used 3/4 inch conduit and mitered the pieces I used for uprights. Then I used 1/4 inch eye bolt and a regular bolt with a jam nut and connecting nut to bolt everything together my whole rack is 42" wide and 74" long by 5" tall. And it's strong as heck. I'm working on getting some pics loaded. All a roof rack needs to do is be strong enough to hold up what you are holding up there. If anybody thinks a roof rack needs to be strong enough to support the jeep itself then get an exo cage. I get crap all the time for using conduit but it works and it's cheap and easily modified if you ever wana make the rack bigger or smaller.
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

heres some pics of the rebuild
roof-rack-new-2.jpg   roof-rak-new-1.jpg   roof-rack-new-3.jpg  
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
cnacowboy
1999 WJ 

I like the mitered pics but dont have the tools to do that. that do you think of me trusset the corners like in bridge ? i think thats what you call it
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

My old design i just used 1/8 inch thick by 6 inch by 2 inch wide metal and drilled 4 sheet metal screws in for my uprights it was strong but didnt look to good. All i did for my uprights was use a 1 inch metal hole saw and drill really strait or it wont work. i used a mini table drill press.
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

if you look close you can kinda see my old design
jeep-side-shot.jpg  
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
cnacowboy
1999 WJ 

ive got a full size and queen size bed rails im thinking of using them and I could just bolt every thing together
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Yea that will be strong but wont look to good up there
Heres what I put on today its a 5x5 awning only cost me 20 bucks to make its light weight and didnt cost me 500 for a brad name.
Its not compleatly done yet im still working on making a water proof cover for it and I just need some more flag eyelets so I can use bungie tie downs.
Also unlike a lot of awnings there are no upright legs. Its just enough room under there for a chair or two I just wanted something to span the two doors.
awning-1.jpg   awning-3.jpg   awning-2.jpg   awning-4.jpg  
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
cnacowboy
1999 WJ 

I like that idea and am thinking of mounting a shovel on my rack got any ideas
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #15
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

I'm ordering a clamp set from amazon there called quick fast clamps or fast quick I don't remember there rubber synch clamps I'm getting the 8 pack it comes with 4 regular clamps to large and two mini clamps for 32 bucks which is a great deal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.