Welding vs. Bending - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding vs. Bending

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
1995Moneypit
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welding vs. Bending

Preparing to start working on building off of a 94 YJ frame and would like to make new body mount brackets, axle truss, etc. Most of the "factory built" accessories like these are bent with a press brake. I don't have one (yet) and know that the look of these brackets are cleaner and I am assuming ultimately stronger. However, I would really like to fab my own parts. Should I have any concern with welding multiple pieces together to form a bracket, etc. in lieu of spending the money on a press brake? Or, any shame in it for that matter?

1995Moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

most factory piece are made from a single piece and are stamped. the reason for this is ease and speed. its alot quicker to take a flat sheet of metal and stamp out a body mount than it is for them to cut multiple pieces and weld them together.

there is no reason not to weld up a piece yourself IMO. cut out what you need and get to welding.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
tomjohn777
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Two pieces of metal welded together "properly" are stronger than the steel is on it's own. BUT that means a full penetration weld without defects,I don't know how your welding skills are, But if you can weld I would say go for it! It will probably be plenty strong enough and you can say that you made it yourself.
tomjohn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You can also cut the material almost in two, bend it by hand and weld the gap, I have done this when I needed less than a 90deg bend in something.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
1995Moneypit
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I really enjoy making my own parts and one of the main reasons for my build (other than the fact that I'm tired of replacing rust on my current Jeep) is simply because I like working on stuff like this. I have a 220v AC/DC Lincoln stick that I feel comfortable with. I can weld, but I'm not going to insult the pro's out there by calling myself a welder.
1995Moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Body mounts can also be easily cut from rectangle, box, or "C" channel. Just draw out what you need and cut away the rest. Then just drill them out with a hole saw and weld to the frame. Just another option to using a brake or cutting all three sides from plate and welding. Post up some pics and let us know what you come up with.
Unread 09-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I was thinking a piece of 2x2 .125 square cut at 45* angle there is the mount, no bending, no welding. Drill a hole and weld to frame. I'm all for building over buying, but if building you must be smart about not making extra work for yourself. Cutting 2 triangles and a square, plus prepping, and welding. A bit much when compared to one strategic cut.
Unread 09-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjohn777 View Post
Two pieces of metal welded together "properly" are stronger than the steel is on it's own. BUT that means a full penetration weld without defects,I don't know how your welding skills are, But if you can weld I would say go for it! It will probably be plenty strong enough and you can say that you made it yourself.
That also means post-weld heat-treatment (to reduce the effects of the change in temper at the borders of the HAZ...)

Given a choice, I'll make forms to bend the metal around, then heat up the whole piece of metal and bend it. Fewer discontinuities, no HAZ, and simpler heat-treatment (since you just have to worry about work hardening instead of the HAZ and discontinuities.)

The HAZ decreases as the process advances - torch>stick>MIG>TIG - but you can't get away from it.

Mounts are bent because it is easier and cheaper to do so, just as screw threads are rolled because it is easier and cheaper to do so. This is a case where doing something the easy way gets you a better part (rolled threads are effectively cold-forged and the material compressed, while a cut thread is effectively a stress riser in the material.) In softer materials, you should use a thread forming tap instead of a thread cutting tape - same reasons.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.