Welding to a uni-body - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding to a uni-body

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
richard_stryker
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Obviously back the heat down a bit to prevent burn-thru. I've seen an article about welding unibodies, but it escapes me right now.
Article is on pirate but I'm having problems finding on my phone. Next time I'm on my computer I'll post the link

richard_stryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Use .030 wire and it's not gonna be an issue. I had trouble when I was using .035 wire, but .030 and it's butter AS LONG as you sand/grind ALL of the sealer and glue stuff off.

This definitely isn't a textbook weld, but it's 3/16" to the unibody, not a problem.

edit: I've seen Kraqa's article about welding on unibodies all over the place. He's actually local to me in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, active on the local forums, etc etc. He does phenomenal work. His work is clean, well-executed and well thought out. He forgets more stuff in a day than I know about, period. But every time I see that article, I have to disagree about the way he welds on this bracket:

Stitch welding is a great idea. But it doesn't need to be taken to that extreme. Three longer welds on the top side of that piece would have been enough, properly spaced, not 5 miniature welds. With MIG, that's just a bunch of cold starts to me at the beginning of each weld.

Sort of how I did this reinforcement plate for the shock hoops in the rear:
(again, my work isn't textbook either. I eyeballed the lengths of the welds as opposed to marking them off, for one.)
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Also ground as close to the welding area too.
This makes a big difference. I ended up using a small piece of plate and tacking it as close as I could to the area I was welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.