Welding truss to Rubicon D44's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding truss to Rubicon D44's

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 07-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
rjacobs
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welding truss to Rubicon D44's

Im starting to collect all my parts for my build on my 14 Rubicon.

One thing I am doing is Artec truss's(front and rear) and C-gussets on the front, track bar brackets and front lower control arm skids.

I have a few friends who are certified welders that are going to help me weld it up(I am a complete newb to welding save for throwing some beads down last weekend with a mig and flux core on a bunch of scrap metal) and we have talked at length and ruminated on the proper methods for the center section. Using a Millermatic 200(on a 220v outlet). Axle's will be completely torn down(no seals, ball joints, pinion, ring gear, etc...).

From what we understand the D44 center sections are nodular iron which some people refer to as cast steel. The inner C's are forged. The tubes are mild steel.

The plan is to mig w/gas the tubes and main truss components(mild steel on mild steel), track bar brackets and lower control arm skids. Just planning to use a normal wire, nothing crazy(not sure what all my buddy has, or I can buy a roll if its something he doesnt have). No pre/post-heat necessary, air cool with plenty of time in between each piece to keep the tubes from warping. Would wrapping each piece with a welding blanket help control anything or just waste of time?

Mig w/gas on the inner c's since they are just forged steel. Pre heat/post heat since its a thicker piece? Wrap it with a blanket or just let it air cool? Again thinking just normal wire and not something crazy.

Center section. Thinking nickle 55 as everything I am reading says this is superior to any kind of regular steel wire/rod when dealing with joining mild steel to nodular. Probably sticks since nickle wire is PRICEY and possibly needs a gas changeover to the tune of several hundred bucks for another bottle(or wasting everything in the current bottle). Obviously pre/post heat. One guy(probably the most experienced) says just let it air cool after the post heat. Another said wrap welding blankets around it to let it cool slower.

So I guess my main questions/concerns are the center section and doing it right as well as using the right wire for the rest of it. Looking for any tips or advice.

rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

I just did a custom truss on my AMC20.

What helped for me was to have an old housing available and the same steel I was using for the truss. I practiced on the scrap pieces to get my heat/feed/gas right. Once I was on, I did about 1-2" sections at a time on either side of the axle. Once I got done with 3-4 passes, I let the axle cool off completely to ambient temps (half a day or overnight). I did this for a few days until it was finished. I did notice a few times when it was cooling, it seemed to cool too fast and the small tacs to hold the plates on were cracking. I didn't have any issues with the full beads though. I used the same wire/gas for the whole axle E70S-6 and 75/25.

Some thoughts after the fact... I wondered if it may be beneficial to jig the axle to keep it straight and have it be less likely to warp. The other thought was what you have mentioned. Do a heat treat after all the welding to bring the metal back and lower any stresses from the high heat in the weld and HAZ. Or use blankets/sand to slow cooling. The other thing I wanted to try was leave the axle in the sun in the heat all day long and let it get hot that way (I don't have an oven to bring the whole thing up to the 500-1000* needed for a hot preheat.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Preheat, weld slowly and jump around a little, post-heat and cool slowly.
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
ARTEC
Vendor

The TJ and JK axles are cast steel. You can MIG weld it all perfectly fine. Check out the instructions and do this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz View Post
It sounds like you are on the right track. Preheat, weld slowly and jump around a little, post-heat and cool slowly.
INSTRUCTIONS

Follow us on FACEBOOK
Quick Links: Battery Mounts ULTIMATE HIGH STEER QUART CRATE Axle Trusses Fuel Cell Mounts

ARTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
rjacobs
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTEC View Post
The TJ and JK axles are cast steel. You can MIG weld it all perfectly fine. Check out the instructions and do this...

INSTRUCTIONS
I was looking for these the other day all over the website and for some reason couldnt find them. Thanks.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.