Welding a trailer hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding a trailer hitch

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 12-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Welding a trailer hitch

I have an idea of how I want to build a rear bumper for my xj with a built in receiver. My question is, is there any legality issue with welding a hitch myself that that may some day be pulling an actual trailer? I'm a decent welder, but it seems odd that it would be ok for just anyone to weld a hitch and pull a 3k lb trailer down the highway at 70mph. Hence, I was wondering if maybe there is a law against it

Any input would be appreciated, thank you!

macklamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If there's a law etc. would be a local State issue. No such law in CA that I'm aware of and there's over 48K of them for vehicles. I welded my own, I highly doubt anyone's gonna be trying to inspect it going down the highway, but of course that's no reason to do a shoddy job. I've seen tons of "factory" welds from places that are more than questionable. If you're comfortable that you'll have a quality, strong weld go for it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
ATTJ
OllllllO

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have never seen a law that says you can't build a trailer and I see no difference than building a hitch. Here in Michigan we have an "Assembled Trailer" registration for that purpose.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
ATTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Alright cool, thanks for the info.
macklamar is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.