Welding Table Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding Table Project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
ipleadda2nd
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Welding Table Project

Welding Table Project

Intro

I got a welder a while back and didn't have anything to weld on. I built a wood workbench, but obviously not a good idea for welding on.

Here is my thread for my wood workbench:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/s...oject-1451684/

I wanted something light. All it needs to do is hold a few hundred pounds at most.

Welders

I started with a 220V Lincoln AC/DC stick welder (aka Tombstone). The welds looked horrible. I take the credit for that. I decided at my skill level I needed a wire feed. So I got a Hobart 187 220V. Much easier. I'll get around to that stick welder though.

Materials

Frame: 1.5" angle steel, 1/8" thick
Top: 2'x3' steel plate, 3/16" thick
Top Spacers: 1.5" steel strips, 1/8" thick

I had to find a steel supplier. I have never done this before. I looked in Google Maps and found Rose Steel & Supply Inc. They are located in Lafayette, CO. It's the northern part of Denver metro area. They're good guys.

I had Rose cut the angle steel to the desired lengths. I do not have a metal chop saw. I also had them cut the top into the 2'x3' shape. He said it was either laser or plasma, I don't remember. The edges were smooth though.

Here are the materials precut and measured twice.

01-materialsroughcut.jpg

Apparently, the angle steel is hot rolled steel which means there's mill scale. I would pay more to avoid dealing with mill scale. Here's the areas cleaned up for welding.

02-millscaleremoved.jpg

Building

I used Harbor Freight magnet holders to hold the angle steel in place.

03-jigged.jpg

Here's the top and bottom welded up. I know, the stick welder beads look horrible. Once I switched to wirefeed, way better. Every corner has a plug weld. I also did lap welds where it made sense.

05-welded.jpg

Now the legs go on.

07-legs.jpg

And the frame is complete!

09-frameassembled.jpg

Here you can see the 1/8" spacers I welded on the top. This will allow the top plate to sit flush against the whole top of the frame.

11-withtopspacers.jpg

And top is welded on to the frame.

12-top.jpg

Penetration!

15-top.jpg

And done!

17-top.jpg

Conclusion

After it was completed I learned it wasn't as easy to move around as I thought, so I might as well have used thicker materials. If I had to do it again I would use 3/16" or 1/4" angle steel and maybe 1/4" top.

At some point I will weld on casters and a handle. Also, I will add walls to enclose the area between the top and bottom.

It's very solid. For what I'm doing it works great!

Unread 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
drerict
1983 CJ7 

Looks good
Unread 12-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, that should serve you well.
I too scorched a bunch of plywood chunks on saw horses until I built my little steel table. Definitely add some casters down the road when you can.
Consider adding a cross bar for keeping clamps near your work area but out of the way until you need them.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I love that reicver hitch your table.... good idea, I have a scrap one laying around that now has found a home.
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. Learn to cope the cross members so they are flush and it will save you from adding spacers.
jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
ipleadda2nd
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangotag View Post
Nice, that should serve you well.
I too scorched a bunch of plywood chunks on saw horses until I built my little steel table. Definitely add some casters down the road when you can.
Consider adding a cross bar for keeping clamps near your work area but out of the way until you need them.
Nice table! I like how the top plate is not framed out to its edge. It's thick enough to not need it.
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
ipleadda2nd
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice guys!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.