• 1 Post By indeepwithajeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-04-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Welding setup question

Hey guys.

So this is a question for future plans I'd have, but I'm curious now and want to have this ready so I can look back and remember.

What's the minimum required setup if one were to weld? I learned welding back in highschool almost 7 years ago but haven't applied it since, but remember most of the basics and would be willing to relearn and teach myself. I know the PPE needed, but for just a basic wleding which would be to repair rusts and rots, what kind of setup would I need?What's the basic kind of welder I'd need? Would I absolutely need some sort of grounded table surface if most of the weldes would be right on the Jeep?

Again, this would be mostly for repairing small rots which appear on the Jeep, such as rotting out rocker panels or liftgate on my ZJ. No huge projects. Basically it'd be backyard mechanic or one step above. Would I need an actual garage, or if I had a large driveway could I do it during sunny days by wheeling out a welder?

I'm asking now so I dont make stupid mistakes in the future and have this for reference. Please explain as though I'm a noob, cause I bascially am.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-09-2016, 12:40 PM
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you're planning on sticking under an ~1/4" you could stay with a 110v MIG machine. I'd shoot for 120-140 amp. Since you're wanting to do sheet metal, it's best to have a gas and some thinner wire (.024"). It's not necessary, but will help you get better results.

As far as welding outside. Just make sure the ground isn't wet or damp. If you have gas hooked up you'd have to turn up the flow rate if it's a little windy.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-10-2016, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Good to know! I'm betting there's tons of educational videos and tips both here on the forum and on youtube to help me re-learn when I go to eventually do it as well. Thanks!
post #4 of 6 Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 AM
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Look for the YouTube channel weldingtipsandtricks. He has a good multi part series with an into to mig welding.
89YJBuilder likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 PM
RDPrimeaux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
lincoln powermig 140C

2006 LJ Rubicon 4.88 33 RCV
post #6 of 6 Old 05-11-2016, 07:33 AM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Minimum setup is a friend with a welder and a 12-pack of his favorite beer...

Beyond that, the small MIGs are handy, but bang for the buck at this point is probably a cracker box stick welder. The main problem for most people is simply that it is harder to master than a MIG, but if you learned that in school, that should have been covered. You can get a 200 amp stick machine for half the money of a small MIG. I'm all about MIGs, but if the question is truly "minimum required setup", the stick machines fill the bill better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.