Welding machine in jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding machine in jeep

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Welding machine in jeep

I posted this in the photo request section but never got a response so im trying here. Is anyone running any type of welder out of their jeep? I really want to get a buzzbox or a little mig machine and hook it up to my jeep but im not sure how. I want to avoid buying a generator but im well aware of how much power a good weld will require and doubt i can do that.

WJC #292
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

So you want to put a welder in your Jeep, but you don't want a generator. What power source are you planning on using to run the welder?
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I was hoping to see if i could convert it from my jeep if i was just gunna run a little mig. Like i said though i was pretty sure that wasnt going to happen the first time i had the thought of running a welder in my jeep. If i absolutley need a generator then thats what i need but if theres a way to run it off my jeep i would rather do that.

I really just want to see if any one has a running welder in their jeep period. Dont care how its run or what kind of welder it is or any of that. Do i have a preference of it being a more simple, cost effective set up? Yeah of course, but i'll also be happy to see the most confusing expensive set up ive ever seen in my life.
WJC #292
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This might be a good read and option for you...

How to: Make a Trail Mig (Flux Core) welder - JeepForum.com

Here is another option for emergency trail welding...
SERIOUS On Board Welder (OBW) If You Are Interested... - JeepForum.com

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I have a "Premier Power Welder" setup. Currently, I need to replace the voltage regulator and install the hand throttle. The PPW is basically a stick welder, but also serves as a 110v power source (capable of running a 4.5" grinder).

I've used my welder to make many trail repairs with no problem. I think you can also hook up the "Ready Welder" (wire feed) to it.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well the PPW is nice but that thing is super expensive. Im going with the idea of gutting the little 90. Seems like a fun and productive little project.
WJC #292
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I find it an incredibly sketchy deal, but a friend of mine (yes a little bit of hearsay) was telling me about a certain style of alternator you can rig up to temporarily turn it into a welder, and then turn back into your working vehicle alternator when you're done. Frankly sounds like it would wreak havoc on your truck but it's been done before apparently.
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've seen a few threads over the years.. where folks have taken a large case alternator and turned it into a welder.

For the occasional trail repair, it may be easier/cheaper to just use 2 batteries for welding.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Im the guy who initially did the How to: Make a Trail Mig (Flux Core) welder - JeepForum.com. Mine still works good thankfully I dont need it often. I wish I was able to make the box a bit smaller, but done and a little large is better than an idea and not being used. The main reason for this vs stick. Is I am not good at stick welding as I have only done it once (not having a stick welder)
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocktk View Post
Im the guy who initially did the How to: Make a Trail Mig (Flux Core) welder - JeepForum.com. Mine still works good thankfully I dont need it often. I wish I was able to make the box a bit smaller, but done and a little large is better than an idea and not being used. The main reason for this vs stick. Is I am not good at stick welding as I have only done it once (not having a stick welder)
Thanks for the write up on that! Im actually a certified stick welder (for about one more month) so i would be much more at home with stick but im not smart enough to learn how to gut a stick machine and reassemble it in working manor. Plus, i would imagine a stick machine that would be able to run hot enough for repairs would be pretty heavy.
WJC #292
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnwelding View Post
Thanks for the write up on that! Im actually a certified stick welder (for about one more month) so i would be much more at home with stick but im not smart enough to learn how to gut a stick machine and reassemble it in working manor. Plus, i would imagine a stick machine that would be able to run hot enough for repairs would be pretty heavy.
you just need jumper-cables, 2 or 3 batteries, and another jumper wire or second set of jumper-cables and you can weld stick in an emergency. not for a long time, but it will fix most trail issues.

i just finished setting up a modular jumper-cable and trail welder kit myself: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3114 - i should probably post it here too.
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.