Welding for a living - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding for a living

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 10-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
outbackmatt

Welding for a living

I'm a welder and just curious about how many hours a day other welders spend actually laying beads?

I would say I spend 1/5 the day welding. The rest of my time goes to building the parts, cutting, grinding, bending, notching and drilling. Then I fit the parts into jigs, tack and finally weld.

Also, does your company require respirators to be worn for grinding and mig welding mild steel? What kind of ventilation is used in the shop?

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

I don't weld for a living, but do build bumpers and other parts for the Liberty KK at home in my spare time.
I'd say 1/5 of the time actually welding is about right for me too when I'm working. Maybe less.

As for ventilation its just the garage door opened 1/2 with a box fan. I also have a small 400 cfm duct fan blowing out a 4x14 register near the ceiling.
I only wear a respirator when grinding with p100 filters.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
outbackmatt

I'm interested in making a fume extractor like this over the welding table possibly using a duct fan and running the fumes outside. Is your duct fan for exhaust or bringing air in?

Unread 10-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

When i'm a job as just a weldor..i weld 90% of the day..fitters have everything ready to go and we just come in and weld away.

We're not required to wear any type of mask or protection for mild steel...its up to you....but its a LAW now with any type of stainless or chromium.

Ventilation is the way to go in any type of welding..if just using a flux covered electrode like fluxcore or stick rod..a fan blowing on you and the weld is a big plus..it also helps see better because at times the smoke from the flux welding can get pretty darn thick if no air moving

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

<----- Part Timer here..

I probably spend an actual 8-12hrs per week laying bead. The rest of the time in the shop is designing, cutting, fitting, grinding, bending...etc.

My Son does do a lot of the prep work for me, so those 8-12hrs of welding are usually jammed into Saturday/Sunday.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
outbackmatt

During 2 years of welding school we werent instructed on welding respiratory safety or hazards. We would grind test plates and weld all day without any particle masks.

I run my own 2 man fabrication business now which I am the welder and therefore have no company regulations or coworkers to ask for advice on safety. I've been welding for 7 years and had no idea just how bad the fumes are for your health until I started researching fume extractors for my shop recently.

I knew welding galvanized and certain exotic metals were hazardous. Then I found out the manganese fumes from welding mild steel causes parkinsons disease!

This page scared the crap out of me knowing I've been breathing the stuff for 7 years.
http://www.welding-rod-dangers.com/i...parkinsons.htm
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt
I'm interested in making a fume extractor like this over the welding table possibly using a duct fan and running the fumes outside. Is your duct fan for exhaust or bringing air in?
I have it set up for exhaust. Its only been in for a week, I might try running some ducting closer to the welding table but I'm not sure how well it will work. It does help quit a bit the way it is though. I smoke cigarettes in there and it sucks the smoke out within a few minutes. If you're doing a lot of welding I'd look closer at real fume extractors.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
AtTheHelm

The respirator pretty much stopped the nasty black boogers too...
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
outbackmatt

That is really nice! So does having the garage door open provide enough make up air?
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
AtTheHelm

Yep, really even with the door just cracked open a few inches. If you were to run a couple of them with 10" round vent holes in the wall it would work better. I should mention my shop/garage is only 300 sf though.

Again, this isn't a replacement for a real fume extractor, but it suits my needs fairly well.
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Full time tig welding on aluminum air craft parts and i spend, at most, two hours a day actually laying beads. Alot of my time is spent keeping the parts to spec. Actually, i ran out of argon really early this morning so im wasting time on jeep forum!

As for vents or fume extraction, there isnt any in my place of employment but in all 3 years of my schooling i was only interested in stick welding and there was always vents by every stick machine, and it was actually pretty heavily enforced that we use them.
WJC #292
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I build tractor implements and hydraulic crap in a one man shop... some days I dont even "weld", I would say 1/8 of my time is used for layout, 1/8 cutting parts, 1/4 time cleaning parts that come off the burn table- dross removal, cleaning holes, and edging, 1/8 drilling, 1/8 grinding, 1/8 tacking and fitting, and 1/8 welding... I need a welders helper.

no ventilation required where Im at, but I throw on the respirator when grinding A LOT, and when the burn table lights up... that plasma dust is nasty crap. I will be starting my own shop soon, respiratory protection will be required whenever there is any grinding or any plasma cutting going on. Im gonna try to set up a ventilation system, but ive just been using a large industrial fan by the bay door to "push" any smoke or dust outside.
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #13
squire_wj

Well right now the shop I work at isnt busy right now, we are just making jigs for are next job so I am mostly fitting all day. But once we start the company looks for 100+feet a day of weld. As for ventilation we have smoke eaters spaced about 35 feet apart. But I use this instead, it might look silly but at the end if the day I haven't been breathing in grinding dust and what not all day.
speedglas_9100_fx_air_adlfo.jpg

squire_wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire_wj View Post
Well right now the shop I work at isnt busy right now, we are just making jigs for are next job so I am mostly fitting all day. But once we start the company looks for 100+feet a day of weld. As for ventilation we have smoke eaters spaced about 35 feet apart. But I use this instead, it might look silly but at the end if the day I haven't been breathing in grinding dust and what not all day.
What kind of welding are you doing? If its alright to ask.
I assume stick or mig? I only ask because your company has that 100+ feet a day requirment. I couldnt imagine having to lay 100 feet tig welding!
WJC #292
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
outbackmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire_wj View Post
That's what I'm thinking about getting. I was quoted $1400 for the speedglass with adflo at my local welding supply company. When I asked about buying a PAPR welding helmet they looked at me like I was crazy. They sell very few and are just too expensive too keep in stock. We have a lot of manufacturing in the area so I was suprised to hear very few people buy respirator helmets. They did tell me a manufacturer of dozer parts bought 50 Speedglas adflo helmets recently from them.

I'm stuck between the speedglass with adflo, miller 9400i papr or a jackson. Sure would like to be able to try the helmets on, see how they fit and feel the quality in person before dishing out $1400.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.