Welding Kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding Kit

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 11-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
kylebeau
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welding Kit

I'm trying to find a good welding kit. Does anyone know any in the 100-200 dollar range

kylebeau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
AtTheHelm

What kind of work are you planning on doing? There are a few welding processes out there. You might be able to find an old 220v AC stick welder on craigslist for that. Helmet, gloves, slag hammer and you're in business.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
kylebeau
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm
What kind of work are you planning on doing? There are a few welding processes out there. You might be able to find an old 220v AC stick welder on craigslist for that. Helmet, gloves, slag hammer and you're in business.
I was planning on welding things like a roll cage and things like that
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry Kyle, there is no welding machine around $200 that will allow you to weld roll cages and the like effectively from the get go.

To get an old SMAW (stick) machine you will be doing a tTON of practice to weld roll cages consistently.

Do you have 240V power where you plan on using the welder?
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post
Sorry Kyle, there is no welding machine around $200 that will allow you to weld roll cages and the like effectively from the get go.
I tend to agree with this, however, having looked at your profile and noting your age (17) I strongly encourage you to pick up that $100-$200 stick welder and the appropriate safety gear and start making non structural bits and pieces while refining your welding /fitment skills. Trust me on this, when you're first starting out the only thing a guy/gal consistently creates is scrap metal, and something that you intend to trust your life with is not the place to start. I can't stress enough, practice, practice, practice, weld two pieces together, then beat them apart with a big hammer and inspect the welds for consistent penetration, grind them up and re-weld. Repeat. Once you are happy with what you are seeing, then maybe make up some sliders or a bumper and work your way up to the safety parts on your project.
I own a couple stick welders, both gas (Miller Bobcat a/c + d/c) and electric (Hobart T225 a/c only) as well as a 180 Lincoln mig and I still consider my old a/c only Hobart my go to machine for most of the structural welding I do, bumpers etc. and the mig when indoors and splatter is an issue. So go out, get started and post up some pics of your welds for critique and good luck.

Don
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
kylebeau
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140mower
I tend to agree with this, however, having looked at your profile and noting your age (17) I strongly encourage you to pick up that $100-$200 stick welder and the appropriate safety gear and start making non structural bits and pieces while refining your welding /fitment skills. Trust me on this, when you're first starting out the only thing a guy/gal consistently creates is scrap metal, and something that you intend to trust your life with is not the place to start. I can't stress enough, practice, practice, practice, weld two pieces together, then beat them apart with a big hammer and inspect the welds for consistent penetration, grind them up and re-weld. Repeat. Once you are happy with what you are seeing, then maybe make up some sliders or a bumper and work your way up to the safety parts on your project. I own a couple stick welders, both gas (Miller Bobcat a/c + d/c) and electric (Hobart T225 a/c only) as well as a 180 Lincoln mig and I still consider my old a/c only Hobart my go to machine for most of the structural welding I do, bumpers etc. and the mig when indoors and splatter is an issue. So go out, get started and post up some pics of your welds for critique and good luck. Don
Exactly my idea. Thanks man!
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebeau View Post
Exactly my idea. Thanks man!
You're welcome, there are lots of good folks here on this board to help you along the way. One last piece of advice, don't cheap out on the safety gear, buy the best you can afford, work in a well ventilated area, and keep a fire extinguisher close at hand.

Don
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
kylebeau
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140mower
You're welcome, there are lots of good folks here on this board to help you along the way. One last piece of advice, don't cheap out on the safety gear, buy the best you can afford, work in a well ventilated area, and keep a fire extinguisher close at hand. Don
Will do
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Might also keep an eye on Craigslist.. or even hit a few pawn shops. Lots of used welders floating around out there.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.