Welding helmet safety - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding helmet safety

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
outbackmatt

Welding helmet safety

I was hoping someone could advise me as to the safety of reflected blue arc welding light under the helmet. I weld with a miller elite hood in a shop with 9 ft walls and wood ceiling. I regularly notice blue light from the arc reflecting off the ceiling, walls behind me, or my shirt(I try to always wear black shirts while welding so it doesnt reflect as much) which is then reflected into the inside front of the hood and exposed to my eyes unfiltered. After long days of welding I notice my eyes feel itchy and the skin on my face looks red, but I'm not sure if this is caused by the reflected uv light or not. I just wanted to check and verify is the unfiltered reflected light harmful to my eyes or are the UV rays absorbed by the 2 x reflection, thus the blue light I see reflecting off the plastic under my hood contains no UV rays and is harmless?

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know the answer to your question, but it's an interesting topic, so I'm in for the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
outbackmatt

I decided to email miller about this too. I'll post back when I hear something. Been welding for 7 years and always wondered about the reflected uv light.
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

One of those leather flaps that attatch to the bottom of the helmet would probably take care of any reflected light from your shirt?

I bet some 50+ SPF sunblock on your face/neck/ears would help.
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is actualy a VERY old concern....
This is one of the top reasons to ALWAYS wear ANSI Z87.1 approved safety glasses behind the hood and 100% of the time fabricating...problem solved........

I got the worst weld flash in my eyes of my life(3 days of pain and misery and missed time at work) when i was working a job in the early 90's,welding down Neslon studs manualy in front of the concrete pour because the Stud shooter had broke down....about 10 of us weldors all around each other welding all day on a very shiny reflective decking....6 of us got the flash bad...because we were the ONLY ones wearing some cheapo non ANSI approved safety glasses....

You should ALWAYS be wearing long sleeve apparel to prevent skin burn and future skin cancer...if you are getting a flash on the back of your neck from a reflection..get a bandana and wrap around the back of your neck....i always flip the collar up on my weld shirts/jackets to cover my neck,and always wear a welding cap with a long bill backwards to cover the back of my head....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do safety glasses carrying this rating protect against the reflective flash?

Quote:
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Do safety glasses carrying this rating protect against the reflective flash?
99.9% in clear..and 100% in dark glasses....

This is the same exact rating good weld lens are required to have...the cover plates and the lens itself...

Just buy a cheap pair of 3.00 or so Uvex or AO safety or other american made wrap arounds( i NEVER trust the foreign made glasses claims to be actualy up to standards)
Most weld supply stores carry the Uvex and AO brand cheap wrap arounds,i exclusevely use the cheap wrap around when welding and fab'n for the fact they are real light,seem to have the most snug fit around the eyes,and best yet,the cheapest but yet top quality protection...i see too many guys buy the priceir "cool" looking safety glasses but ***** n moan they have to buy more sooner than later because they got scratched up,mostly from wiping them off with a shirt or wiping off while the dirt and dust was still on them...rinse them first,then use a lens cleaner wrag and cleaner...
The wrap arounds cover your eyes totaly as long as you buy a pair that fit and forms snug aroud the eye socket area...

ANSI Z87.1 means the lens is a Polycarbonate,wich filters out UV and IR rays that can damage eyes...
It also means it is more than safe for impacts...if you actualy break the glasses on an impact,then you have more serious problems then your eyes..yes,they are that tough..........

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i just got done welding up trusses and frame link mounts and i will be investing in some of those glasses... ive gotten weld flash a couple of times that has kept me up at night but could never figure out why because i wear my mask. this explains it. thank you
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
outbackmatt

I've been lucky enough to avoid bad arc eye. I imagine it would suck, but I do get regular eye irritation from welding. By the end of the day it feels like Ive been at the beach, just without all the fun in the sun. About the saftey glasses, I tried wearing many different types. The problem is I wear prescription glasses and any saftey goggles that fit over my glasses that Ive used tend to pick up worse flash from behind as they dont seal really well and the light reflects off the inside of the safety goggles the same way it reflects off the inside front of the hood. Plus the weight of glasses, safety goggles and a hood sucks wearing all day. Another issue is the safety goggles fog up massively which is why Ive given in to only wearing my prescription glasses under the hood.

I've gone as far as to getting prescribed contacts and I wore them for a month or so with tight fitting safety glasses while working. Then I began noticing the next day when I went to put them in there were metal flakes floating around in the contact case solution. After that I didnt feel comfortable using contacts in the dusty metal shop.

Another thing I tried to reduce the reflected light from coming in was I cut up a welding jacket and using paper clips I attached it to the back of my hood like a cape. It didnt work too well somehow it reflected off the cape and into my hood. lol Not to mention this trapped air from circulating in my hood. I'm a bit ocd about this you might say.
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
rmeyer332
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check out savephace.com they sell inexpensive welding hoods with auto dark feature I bought one it was 130 with shipping I don't have a problem with reflection inside my hood. My only problem is uv burns due to pulling up the sleeves and my cotton shirts
rmeyer332 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt View Post
I've been lucky enough to avoid bad arc eye. I imagine it would suck, but I do get regular eye irritation from welding. By the end of the day it feels like Ive been at the beach, just without all the fun in the sun. About the saftey glasses, I tried wearing many different types. The problem is I wear prescription glasses and any saftey goggles that fit over my glasses that Ive used tend to pick up worse flash from behind as they dont seal really well and the light reflects off the inside of the safety goggles the same way it reflects off the inside front of the hood. Plus the weight of glasses, safety goggles and a hood sucks wearing all day. Another issue is the safety goggles fog up massively which is why Ive given in to only wearing my prescription glasses under the hood.

I've gone as far as to getting prescribed contacts and I wore them for a month or so with tight fitting safety glasses while working. Then I began noticing the next day when I went to put them in there were metal flakes floating around in the contact case solution. After that I didnt feel comfortable using contacts in the dusty metal shop.

Another thing I tried to reduce the reflected light from coming in was I cut up a welding jacket and using paper clips I attached it to the back of my hood like a cape. It didnt work too well somehow it reflected off the cape and into my hood. lol Not to mention this trapped air from circulating in my hood. I'm a bit ocd about this you might say.
You can buy prescription safety glasses at some pretty good pices now a days to,in many different styles n flavors to fit you face snug....

A buddy of mine wears script,he has a good pair a script safety glasses,but he bought some kind of film that just sticks over the lens and protects it from scratches,kind of like the protective film you get for cell phones...

I too use the type to cover script glasses,because i need reading glasses at my age,i use the cheater lens in my hood most of the time,but at times i am in positions i need the full veiw of my big lens Jackson Nexgen,,,,i have a few pairs of these i got from a few jobs,and they seem to work well over a very thin frame reading glasses,,,,i even have a cheapo pair that i ripped the side arms off of and let them just fit on the bridge of my nose and cover them with a pair of these,,they hold the reading glasses in place well because of the full strap.....
This pair has alot of scratches and dirty from sitting around,,but you get the idea...
A little thinking and a long life of trying to take chortcuts and bein Inventive can pay off well at times..lol
safetyglasses.jpg  

Never forget 9/11

Unread 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
outbackmatt

Thanks for the tip on prescription saftey glasses. A quick search and I came across this sweet pair.

They are ANSI Z87.1-2003 approved so does that means it will block uv rays?

Also would you recommend tinted or no tint for in a fab shop? I see guys wearing yellow tinted glasses. What is the benifit of a colored tint?

http://www.rx-safety.com/store/produ...roducts_id=996
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This is very good info! I have wondered about this myself.
Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #15
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt View Post
Thanks for the tip on prescription saftey glasses. A quick search and I came across this sweet pair.

They are ANSI Z87.1-2003 approved so does that means it will block uv rays?

Also would you recommend tinted or no tint for in a fab shop? I see guys wearing yellow tinted glasses. What is the benifit of a colored tint?

http://www.rx-safety.com/store/produ...roducts_id=996
Different colors tints are just a preference..i've heard people say that the amber makes things more clear inside buildings..but i see the opposite..it just makes everything a different color.....there is no way around the fact the clearest view you are going to get is...well..clear!..and no tint..lol
Inside a fab shop,and especialy behind a sheild..clear is your best investment....

Yes..ANSI Z87.1 2003 does mean it has the UV/IR and impact protection..it means its made of the polycarbonate...

Never forget 9/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.