welding galvanized fence post... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > welding galvanized fence post...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
BlockOtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

welding galvanized fence post...

Hey new to welding/ have never welded before. My buddy has a T.I.G welder and I want to make a front stinger and he's got thick enough fence post( don't know diameter) am I able to just grind down the metal to get rid of the zinc coating?

Unread 08-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3ohio
Hey new to welding/ have never welded before. My buddy has a T.I.G welder and I want to make a front stinger and he's got thick enough fence post( don't know diameter) am I able to just grind down the metal to get rid of the zinc coating?
I know nothing about tig. You can stick weld galv just fine. The galvanazation just burns away as you lay the bead. Of course the bead area will rust so you will want to paint it. I'd say to grind the zinc off and give it a go.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Whatever you do, Get yourself a FULL OSHA rated mask because the dust from grinding galv off does some NASTY stuff to your lungs.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
mudcreeker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

x2 or scrap the galv. and get ya some plain metal to work with , that galv. is some NASTY stuff, be careful if ya use it
mudcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Any left over anything will cause a bad TIG weld. The weld will come out very porous. Just keep grinding the weld out and re-weld it until all of the porosity is gone. You could get nice, clean fresh DOM or HREW and have a lot easier time welding it though.
Unread 08-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hmmm... I live 25 minutes away.. have a bender... have 1.75" DOM... have Bend Tech SE.... Hmmmmm.... what to do.. what to do.....

I'll even sell the stuff to you at my cost so you don't have to breathe the zinc in.. Mmmm... Zinc.
Say.. $20 for a stinger.. forget about my PM..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Hmmm... I live 25 minutes away.. have a bender... have 1.75" DOM... have Bend Tech SE.... Hmmmmm.... what to do.. what to do.....
OP, ummmmmmmmmmm

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
mudcreeker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

for that price I'd get 2 of them and forget the galv.
mudcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'll only go $20 on one since he's kind of in a pickle with that galvanized junk. Otherwise.. I'll do my regular $40 for a stinger... gotta make a living.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
BlockOtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
I'll only go $20 on one since he's kind of in a pickle with that galvanized junk. Otherwise.. I'll do my regular $40 for a stinger... gotta make a living.
Read your Pm and I am interested Please pm me again with any contact info. Thanks for the bargain.
Unread 08-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #11
BlockOtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And thank you to everyone 's input

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.