Welding Drag Link to Shorten it. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding Drag Link to Shorten it.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welding Drag Link to Shorten it.

I needed to shorten a beefy WJ drag link for my YJ SOA / front stretch.

Everything went well but I needed to shorten it two inches further than it could go. I decided to cut and welded it. I cut 4x .25" x 2" slits in the end, turned my welder up all the way and my line speed down to nothing.

It might be the hottest weld I've ever burned. It's still glowing red in the picture a while after.

Do you think this should hold up?

forumrunner_20130304_204653.jpg

soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Better close up

forumrunner_20130304_205056.jpg
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Is one piece shoved into the other (telescoped)? If so, it'll probably be okay. Weld looks hot enough..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Is one piece shoved into the other (telescoped)? If so, it'll probably be okay. Weld looks hot enough..
Yup it's telescopes about 4 inches.

I can't believe I got a response from possibly the most credible welder here.

Thanks!
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That is an interesting way to get weld surface area. It should hold up fine unless your bad enough you can make a good looking weld with no root fusion. But I don't think that is the case.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
That is an interesting way to get weld surface area. It should hold up fine unless your bad enough you can make a good looking weld with no root fusion. But I don't think that is the case.
Man I would NOT rule it out! I've done some bad welds in my short welding career. After reading a thread or two on Pirate and Classic Bronco I was a little afraid of this. I ground it down to fresh metal and had it prepped well. I was going so slow the outer sleeve was melting like warm butter under my puddle.

I really want to see how it looks inside but can't afford to lose the part for now.

The more I thought about it, this should be pretty strong. If it were to fail it should happen when I'm locked and going through trails at 5mph. Not on the highway. Others posted they have done the same and that it held up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.