Welding with batteries - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 PM
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

basically it is good for a trail fix to get someone off the trail and back to the trailer.

spot welds, it will work fine just to tack things together, but i would still suggest looking for a cheap welder. you can pick up an old buzz box on Craigslist for $100 or less and be much better off.

1998 ZJ-- lowered a touch

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

Fat Amy-1989 K5 blazer. Linked, lifted, 38.5's on won tons. Big Girls can play in the woods too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
heepinforChrist
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok thanks man
post #18 of 27 Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 AM
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

there is also this if you want to spend the money...

http://www.readywelder.com/

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 27 Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 AM
heepinforChrist
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah thats great but if i have 600 bucks to spend on a readywelder i wouldnt be tryin to use batteries to weld huh. sorry just hate how theres always someone who says"well you could just drop a couple hundred bucks and buy the exact thing you want and be done" maybe i am just in a small minority who cant afford all the sweet jeep toys and accessories but i will stick to lookin for a cheap old welder on CL found one for 50 and the guy says it works says he just used it recently to repair something so i will look into that. thanks for all the help though guys, i do however like your priority list dcope
post #20 of 27 Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As far as Battery welding it is only used for emergency only situations.....

I see alot of people online create an emergency setup to do this just incase of a dire emergency if you are way out on a trail and have no other choice but to do a little weld on something just to limp home or somewhere to get it repaired properly....
It can be a great thing to have,but it's not reccomended as a regular source of welding,it can cause a short in the battery..overheat them and may cause one to explode...etc etc...but in a pinch it could be done for emergencies.
Thats why you see no companies producing ( i have yet to see them anyhow) and selling a setup to do this,i would think there would be a major liability issue trying to sell something like this.

Your best and most cheapest option would be to do as what was said already,keep searching for a used Lincoln "buzz box" or what some call it a "tombstone" welder...the AC only machine can be had used for around 100.00 more and less..and the AC/DC machine is usualy a little closer to 200.00 and more used.

Dont buy any of the offbrand types,any i have seen are usualy 100 amps or less,not really enough power to do anything serious with stick welding.

Keep checking your local craigslist...also try out Searchtempest.com...it will do a major search of craigslist,ebay and other well known selling websites all at once and you have a choice of how many miles away from your zip code you want to search....for some reason i've found more local listings on craigslist through searchtempest than craiglist itself..it seems to do a more thorough search for some reason.........

Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 27 Old 01-16-2012, 09:35 AM
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

And for thoes of you that think stick welding is a pain in the butt as you never do it at home. Here is how to make a MIG welder that runs off of 2 car batteries. I did this 2 years ago, and it has saved my buddy on a trail out in the middle of nowhere moab. It takes a little more room than the stick method (fits in a 8 dollar orange home depot tool box), but you can basically do on-site fabrication. Its like a ready welder without the price tag.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/h.../#post10054358
post #22 of 27 Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 AM
heepinforChrist
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks ironworker thats wat i think i am gonna do!
post #23 of 27 Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 AM
jonifun
1998 ZJ 

I have a mini 30 amp gasless mig I bought years ago that soon got replaced but not thrown out. It will be getting dismantled and turned into one of these. I have no need for a mobile welder but the need may arise in the future. Great idea.
post #24 of 27 Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 PM
burtha95xj
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonifun
I have a mini 30 amp gasless mig I bought years ago that soon got replaced but not thrown out. It will be getting dismantled and turned into one of these. I have no need for a mobile welder but the need may arise in the future. Great idea.
How do you have a gasless Metal Inert GAS welder. Im assuming you mean a flux core welder

2012 Response vehicle
post #25 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 10:47 AM
jonifun
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtha95xj

How do you have a gasless Metal Inert GAS welder. Im assuming you mean a flux core welder
It has a gas feed to use with regular wire and co2 or you can swap the polarity and use flux core wire.

So I have a mig welder with a gas less wire option. I still call it a mig welder as 'fcw welder' doesn't roll off the tongue in quite the same way

My larger mig also has a fluxes wire option

Never had a problem with flux wire it's just 5x the price.

image-1062286232.jpg

It's great to have the choice
post #26 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonifun View Post
It has a gas feed to use with regular wire and co2 or you can swap the polarity and use flux core wire.

So I have a mig welder with a gas less wire option. I still call it a mig welder as 'fcw welder' doesn't roll off the tongue in quite the same way

My larger mig also has a fluxes wire option

Never had a problem with flux wire it's just 5x the price.

Attachment 333594

It's great to have the choice
Its a Wire Welder...MIG means what it stands for...Metal Inert Gas....alot who are just learning "think" MIG is any wirefeed..buts its not..there is MIG..Fluxcore and Dual Sheild..3 different processes

Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...
post #27 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
jonifun
1998 ZJ 

Well I think a wire feed flux or gas shield welder made up of bits and bobs is a great idea and if I can make it small enough to stash away for emergencies it's worth while. I have several old wire guns and a complete working unit. When I find all the stuff out and take a photo if it all I would love to have any ideas on putting it together. I'm sure the one at the start of the thread is great but with all the knowledge on here I think it could be great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.