Welding axle brackets with Hobart 140 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding axle brackets with Hobart 140

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welding axle brackets with Hobart 140

Can it be done?

Unread 06-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What axle brackets are you referring to? I ask because I too have the 140 and am about to get the shielding gas.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

IMO use it to tack the brackets in place and have someone with a 220 welder finish them up. Not really a place you want to question the strength.
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
xBlakex
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it can be done.
xBlakex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

yes it can be done.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I posted this in an old thread on a 220v vs 110v machine.......It gets right to the point..........axle tube's thickness is beyond a 110v's required limit...

As was already said,a 110v machine will push it to it's limits and borderline that "maybe" it'll work and hold welding 1/4" without a preheat.

once you start gettin into alot fab work on the Jeep you'll runnin into alot heavier things to weld than a 110v machine is designed for..heavy suspension parts,roll cages,heavy bumpers and rock gards,motor mounts if swapping out for more power..etc etc.

A 220v machine is just so much more versatile and suitable for Jeep mods and repairs than a 110v,there wont be anything on a Jeep your working that a 220v can;t handle without question,from thin sheetmetal to heavy axle tubes and chunks.

Now a days there really isn't that much of a price difference in my opinion between a 110v vs 220v to justify going with a 110v unless 110v power is your only option,but that would be a rare occasion unless you live in an apartment and have no 220v dryer plug.

You'll most likely hear/see some people say"i welded my whole rig up with a 110v 140 amp machine and its held up to the worst abuse in the world!"...that's all cool and i'm glad it held up,but it still doesn't hide the fact that a 110v machine was put to it's limits and overworked at max settings to do the job,plus it doesn't hide the fact that it may of made a nice looking weld but the fact is it still aint hot enough to do a confident sufficeint weld on thicker materials.

The manufacturers recommend the maximum thickness of steel for the machine not for the fact it can't get a complete fusion in every pass,but for the fact it isn't hot enough of a machine to sufficeintly penetrate that thickness.this is where most don't understand...i could weld up a 1" thick plate with a 110v and cut it and it'll show a solid complete fused weld,,but do a bend test on it and see what happens because it didn't penetrate because of the heat sink the bigger steel caused and sucked the heat from the weld..

Bottom line is..when picking a weld machine for a purpose..the general rule of thumb is to purchase one that is designed to handle more than what you ever plan to use it for,for the fact you won't have to geuss if it will hold,plus you won't be working the machine at it's limits and seriously shortening the life span of the machine.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^ This man speaks the truth. I am 4 linking my Jeep, and purchased a 220v welder because of it. I know my old 110v machine could have welded all the brackets on, but I didn't feel comfortable doing so. If it was a trail rig, I probably would have used the 110v. Since it does see street time though, I wondered what would happen if one of the important brackets came off around 65mph. I didn't want to find out, so I got a 220v machine.
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

While it may work, and others have done it, why take a chance? Last thing you want to worry about during a "panic stop", is your rear axle rolling out from under the rig.

I'd tack the brackets in place and have someone burn them in with a 220v welder.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dake, I know you just asked this question over in my build thread. I didn't know why you were asking until I found this. Like I said over there, I've welded nearly everything on my rig with my Lincoln 140, but I did just as many suggested here when it came to my axle work. I tacked everything in place and had my local shop finish it up. The only thing attached to my axle that I fully welded myself is probably one of the greatest stress points however - the traction bar mount. The only reason for that was it was the middle of the night and I wanted it done. So far, so good, it has held up very well. I did pre-heat it, made multiple passes, and used a little post-heating/wrapping in old welding gloves to help control the heat sink action a bit.

If I had any patience, everything on my axle would have been done with a larger machine. Hopefully, I'll have a 211 by the time 2014 gets here.
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Absolutely, spring plates can be sufficiently welded with a quality 140a class machine. However, the real question should be whether the operator has the skill and abilities to be welding axle brackets with a 140a MIG...
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think I will just tack and get it done. Thank for the input on this safety should be first.
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwahini View Post
What axle brackets are you referring to? I ask because I too have the 140 and am about to get the shielding gas.
Spring and shock mounts. I just got gas as well. Have not had a chance to play with it yet as y 4 year old wants to help me all the time
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I think I will just tack and get it done. Thank for the input on this safety should be first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Spring and shock mounts. I just got gas as well. Have not had a chance to play with it yet as my 4 year old wants to help me all the time
If it was a good call before, knowing this makes it an even better decision.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.