Welding Advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welding Advice

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Practice, practice & practice...good beads will come.
Oh and patience.

wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #17
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Gas and a bigger welding machine really do help the newbie.... After welding with gas, I'll never weld without it as long as I can help it.
X2. welding with gas is 100X better than without.

i use .030 wire at home and a 75/25 mix. at work we use straight CO2 on .035 wire.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Practice, practice & practice...good beads will come.
Oh and patience.
This ^. Nothing else needs to be said.

Welding is ridiculously easy, anyone can do it especially MIG / wire feed welding. Fabrication is FAR different from welding. The fabrication is the hard part.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #19
4bangerYJ

I'd say that material is to thick for your machine. I use flux and a Lincoln 135. 3/16 is about the max I would do. I use the highest settings (G for heat and 3 for wire speed). Check in inside panel on the door to see what the settings should be set at for the thickness of your metal.
Flux is messy and requires you to chip it off, but it burns hotter than gas. Just get a wire wheel for your drill and it comes off pretty fast.
Also what size wire are your running? .035 or .030?
Find some 1/8 steel to practice on and adjust the heat/wire speed and like others have said practice,practice practice.
4bangerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #20
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangerYJ View Post
I'd say that material is to thick for your machine. I use flux and a Lincoln 135. 3/16 is about the max I would do. I use the highest settings (G for heat and 3 for wire speed). Check in inside panel on the door to see what the settings should be set at for the thickness of your metal.
Flux is messy and requires you to chip it off, but it burns hotter than gas. Just get a wire wheel for your drill and it comes off pretty fast.
Find some 1/8 steel to practice on and adjust the heat/wire speed and like others have said practice,practice practice.
Good advice...

And just to clarify..MIG is "easier" to lay a "prettier bead",especialy on these 110v and 220v 180 amp or so machines..but a fluxcore is a hotter and stronger weldment with these small amp machines..it just takes getting used to gettin the "eye" in the difference between you're slag and metal puddle..
Slag will be what looks like water running..metal will have little ripples and you can see it starting to solidify,or freeze quicker than the slag,you just have to practice untill you can see the difference..that's one BIG mistake most beginners make when learning to weld,they just go at a constant speed to try n get a flat pretty weld,but what is needed is to see the penetration and fill of a weld puddle to make a correct clean strong weldment.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #21
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmatt View Post
Also Push the weld dont drag it you will get better penetration that will help flatten out the weld too.
I always thought pulling gives you a little deeper penetration????
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #22
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
I always thought pulling gives you a little deeper penetration????
That is Correct...Pushing gives it a flatter lay for a prettier weld..but pulling gives more penetration which equals more strength

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 11-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #23
badmatt
1990 XJ Cherokee 

you can do it either ways but ive always been instructed to push, and with flux core(which is what is what the OP used by the looks of it) I find pushing for me it works better for penetration.

heres a solid video to show you puddle control and torch movement.
YouTube - Mig Welding Technique Taught by Old Timer
badmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #24
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangerYJ View Post
This..

I was going to suggest stepping down to 1/8" for practicing too..

For a consistent bead, it's all about being comfortable and being able to move along consistently. If need be, do a "dry run" with the gun to make sure you're comfortable along the whole bead path. If you're welding on a table, you should be able to find/provide lots of support for your forearms to minimize unwanted movment (read shaking).

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #25
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmatt View Post
you can do it either ways but ive always been instructed to push, and with flux core(which is what is what the OP used by the looks of it) I find pushing for me it works better for penetration.
The OP is using a 110v machine with fluxcore....

It works better for you because it's a pretty weld,but pulling penetrates more,especialy with fluxcore where slag would be running in front of the puddle if you're pushing.

Never forget 9/11

Unread 11-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #26
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

^^^ I agree ^^^ Pull flux core wire (as though you were stick welding), and push solid wire w/gas.

Also, the polarities are different between the two types of wires. Flux core uses DCEN and solid wire uses DCEP.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #27
jeepfreek383

"if it has slag your supposed to drag"
jeepfreek383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #28
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

The instructor I had in my two year vocational school taught us to always pull with wire feed process.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #29
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBailey View Post
The instructor I had in my two year vocational school taught us to always pull with wire feed process.
You're only supposed to pull, or drag, when using flux core wire.

If you're using a gas shielding, you want to push the gun. This clears a path for you ( the gas removes the comtaminating oxygen ). The bead will also penetrate better, and lay flatter than if you dragged the gun.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #30
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

According to the video that came with my Miller mig welder pulling is what will give the best penetration. They recommend pushing on thinner materials where there's a danger of burning through. From what I've tried they are correct.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.