Welders read this!! It could save your life!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welders read this!! It could save your life!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #31
4DFUN
2008 JK Wrangler 

New to welding and glad I found this info.

Most times I just hit it with a wire wheel or a grinder.

So I now know no cleaners for me just old school elbow grease, soap and water.

I will also watch out for galvanized. Thanks.

4DFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #32
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
In the past, R12, also used as a propellant in aeresols, or something closely related chemically, would become poisonous like this, so I would speculate that its the propellant used in brakleen thats causing the issue here. Regardless, very dangerous stuff!
I wouldn't place any bets on the propellant being safe, but in this case it is definitely the brake cleaner itself that is chlorinated. When I had my little incident with the stuff, I went outside of my shop, and sprayed it off out there, and then let it all (or so I thought) evaporate before bringing it in. Then I had to install the pieces in the jig before I could weld them. There was no propellant involved at that point, just whatever cleaner was still hiding in some pits on one of the pieces, or in some other nook or cranny.

These days I do not use anything stronger than isopropyl alcohol for degreasing parts that are to be welded, or may potentially be welded at some point.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #33
outbackmatt

What are your guys thoughts on welding fumes produced from WD40 and lithium grease? Anything toxic in either?

I flood my hole saws and metal with wd40 to lubricate when tube notching. I normally just grind off the burrs but dont wipe off the wd40 residue left over.

Also I use lithium grease to lubricate my tubing bender follow blocks. As the tubing slides through it picks up the grease. I try to wipe this off but when I'm busy it's hard to clean every square inch.
outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #34
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

I always try to have a fan that blos fresh air aimed to my helmet, sometimes Ill put a fan on the welding table blowing away from the piece and it will suck all the smoke and fumes away.

Recently I have been Acid cleaning parts using Muratic Acid, then a Rinse with washing soda and water, and then a final rince in plain water before welding. once it is welded it gets a coat of oil to prevent flash rust.

I have also heard drinking a glass or two of milk will help prevent zinc poisoning.
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #35
lolo75racing
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! I don't weld but I do use a lot of brake cleaner to clean just about anything. So is this danger only present when welding? I know all chemicals are bad , thanks for the post and hope you get better !
lolo75racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #36
outbackmatt

I would assume spraying brake cleaner onto any hot surface to where it fumes would be just as harmful as welding through it.
outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #37
BajaJeep7

Thats crazy! Never heard of that, need to be careful when I'm at the shop.
BajaJeep7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #38
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo75racing View Post
Wow! I don't weld but I do use a lot of brake cleaner to clean just about anything. So is this danger only present when welding? I know all chemicals are bad , thanks for the post and hope you get better !
No, fires will do it too. Particularly structure fires that involve certain types of foam or plastics can release phosgene as well. And not just brake cleaner and welding... Welding on cars with damaged A/C systems can get you too. The refrigerant will decompose into phosgene in the presence of welding heat and the arc rays.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #39
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

WOW!!! I sent this to everyone I know who welds. One of my friends teaches the welding/fabrication class at the community college, and the other owns a business building docks here on the lake. I do a lot of fab and repair for my cousin's ranch.
Thank you so much, I used to use break cleaner all the time as a degreaser.
89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #40
tytec95

thanx a lot
tytec95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #41
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DFUN View Post
New to welding and glad I found this info.

Most times I just hit it with a wire wheel or a grinder.

So I now know no cleaners for me just old school elbow grease, soap and water.

I will also watch out for galvanized. Thanks.
If you're new at welding you won't be welding galvanized metal anyway. It's ridiculously hard to weld, and you have to burn through the galvanization in order to get any kind of penetration.

Thank you for this thread. I read it before I ever started welding, but now I know to not mess with chemicals on the metal I will be welding.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #42
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

Other than soap/water , distilled water , denatured alcohol is there any other way to get rid of grease ,brake ,trans fluid ,oil and other contaminants could be harmful before welding ?
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #43
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier905 View Post
Other than soap/water , distilled water , denatured alcohol is there any other way to get rid of grease ,brake ,trans fluid ,oil and other contaminants could be harmful before welding ?
Acetone..MEK...Lacquer thinner..mineral spirits....etc....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #44
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier905 View Post
Easiest and cheapest method is to go buy a Harbor Freight 4 1/2" angle grinder and a couple of flap disks. You'll need a grinder anyway, and I always hit whatever I'm welding with the flap disk to clean it up. I use it to cut, grind and to clean.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #45
Snowman64

Great Timing!

Glad I saw this article! I am restoring a 1975 Bolens HT-20 garden tractor with a front-end loader and a hydrostatic transmission. I recently pulled the rear axle for an overhaul and found that the frame had some stress cracks around the axle mount points.

I was planning to weld it up this weekend...and of course, it is all greasy and grimy, to say the least! Like a lot of other posters, I LOVE brakleen and use it all the time. I would very likely have cleaned the frame with brakleen and whipped out the mig.

I'm not a religious guy, but somebody was surely looking out for me this week!

Snowman64 in NW PA
100_2301.jpg   100_2303.jpg   100_2307.jpg  
Snowman64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.