Welders read this!! It could save your life!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welders read this!! It could save your life!!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 01-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #16
SamPsychoWise
2006 TJ Wrangler 

In case anyone has not seen a Material safety data sheet. Here is the one for CRC Brakleen. The one from the OPs link

Brakleen

"In the U.S., the Occupational Safety and Health Administration requires that MSDS be available to employees for potentially harmful substances handled in the workplace under the Hazard Communication regulation. The MSDS is also required to be made available to local fire departments and local and state emergency planning officials under Section 311 of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act. The American Chemical Society defines Chemical Abstracts Service Registry Numbers (CAS numbers) which provide a unique number for each chemical and are also used internationally in MSDSs."
(MSDS info from wikipedia.org)

SamPsychoWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Erik719
1983 CJ7 

Phosgene was used in chemical warfare during WWI.
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
zedhead
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting this Ambugrl, being a home mechanic, working on my jeep I use brake cleaner every once in a while. I had no idea something as simple as this could possible kill you !
zedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
1971CJ5Man
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I use to work in a plant for 3 years that made phosgene gas, I was caught up a leak and inhaled a lot of gas. I spent the next 14 hours in medical under oxygen. I ended up with a sever case of chemical pneumonia it took me about 6 months to fully recover. Phosgene is an acid gas and when mixed with the fluid in your lungs becomes very corrosive. If anyone is unfortunate and inhales phosgene please go to the hospital they can put you on a breathing machine while your lungs heal. One breath will do a lot of damage as did to the guy in the article. If he would have taken a second breath he may not be alive. As a welder for the past 24 years my advice to everyone is to use a torch or buffer to remove any oil, don't use any type of degreaser.
1971CJ5Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

actually glad my ag teacher is such a hard ***. learned this first day learning to mig weld in shop class.
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

galvanized is another bad one. too bad im welding it once a week. always have an exhaust tube within 6in though
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #22
poooorsche

Thanks for the post - I've forwarded this to all my welding buds.
poooorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
jeeptastic1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
Im guessing a chlorine free brake cleaner would be a better substitute?
no, as a welder, i would say grinding would be the only logical choice to prep metal. no cleaners will work, and as stated they can kill you. be smart, sanders and grinders are cheaper than being in a hospital and living with an oxygen tank your whole life.
jeeptastic1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #24
VIJeeper
2007 JK Wrangler 

I work in a heavy hauler shop where the mechanics love to use brakekleen We only use the non-chlorinated one and usually we let everything dry off before welding. Slap Shot from Walter is a less toxic cleaner than brake cleaner but no one seems to want to switch. All the welders in our shop have the 3M adflo welding helmet which is awesome for filtering everything out of our breathing air. the biggest thing with brake clean is fire. It has been the cause of a few oil pans being blown off engines in the shop. Never ever use the chlorinated version if you are going to weld!
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
Hailrazr13
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is why I'm glad we had an old school machine tool tech prof. Drilled into us the gas dangers, tested us, until it was second nature. Awesome post though, need to get this better known
Hailrazr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #26
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you For posting this. I have been down that road before with burning it off steal with the welder. I'm gonna call my dad tomorrow to and tell him. You may have just saved our lifes!
dougbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #27
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to add a few ways to safely remove oil and grease before welding...

DeNatured Alcohol works great for the minor removal of oil and greasy spots...Denatured Alcohol is 100% alcohol,no water additive,so no worries of flash rust if that's one of your concerns.

Just an FYI,Distilled water will not cause rust at all,it has been De-Mineralised by the same process moonshiners use in thier stills...lol,pure water doesn't cause rust,it's the minerals in water that cause the rust process to start...you can buy Distilled water by the gallon at local stores for $0.60 to $1.00 on the average...It has to be "distilled"..not just filtered or spring water.

Any of the solvent free strong degreasers and cleaners are good safe cleaners before welding,purple power..simple green..etc etc..
I use the concentrated Dawn dishwashing liquid for cleaning and degreasing and getting rid of protective coatings before applying another coat of wax or paint sealers....this stuff is under rated as far as a good degreaser..and cheap stuff too.....

If you feel the need to use a good strong solvent based cleaner...such as Acetone,MEK...etc etc...make sure you have good ventilation,use a fan blowing the fumes away from you and have a well ventilated area to rid the fumes in your shop/garage quickly,the best way is to do it is outside with the fan blowing the fumes directly away from you.
ALWAYS use solvent/chemical safe gloves,solvents are absorbed through your skin and into your blood stream...the regular kitchen rubber gloves won't work,they'll just melt on your hands with solvents..lol
After using the solvent cleaner,wipe it all down with a little Dawn mixed in distilled water to rid any oil or grease left,then use a distilled water soaked rag to rid any film left.........

If you have any real experience at all in welding and fabrication,then you'll know just trying to grind the oil and grease with a grinder is useless...the grinding wheels,Grinding disks and sand paper just soaks up the oil and spreads it around and lubricates them..rendering them pretty much useless ..plus your just spreading the oil and grease around instead of getting rid of it............

Don't use ANY brake cleaner or carb cleaner before welding..these products are made for the purpose it's designated for ONLY..for a GOOD reason.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
Pepe73
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. I'm always knew about welding galvanized metal being toxic, and have done it from time to time, and I'll admit I've been quite lax in my safety procedures.

This article about brake cleaner just opened my eyes. I use it quite regularly to clean metal and stuff. I never would have thought such a small amount would be so dangerous!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Myself, and my son (who probably would have ended up loosing his dad) thank you.
Pepe73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

In the past, R12, also used as a propellant in aeresols, or something closely related chemically, would become poisonous like this, so I would speculate that its the propellant used in brakleen thats causing the issue here. Regardless, very dangerous stuff!
streetglideok is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #30
Sidgmc
1984 CJ8 

http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtrai.../weldhlth.html

"The subject can then appear to be more susceptible to the onset of this condition on Mondays or on weekdays following a holiday than they are on other days."

lol
Sidgmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.