Welders how do you deal with fogging safety glasses? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welders how do you deal with fogging safety glasses?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
outbackmatt

Welders how do you deal with fogging safety glasses?

I have a fabrication shop and try to always wear saftey glasses while working. Whenever its hot or humid weather my safety glasses form condensation on the lenses so I have to stop every two minutes and dry out the glasses causing a lot of lost time.

I really dont want to remove the saftey glasses and subject myself to flash burns and molten metal.

How do you professionals welding everyday handle this problem? I've tried everything commercially available including special rx antifog saftey glasses but nothing has worked for me. It seems I need more ventilation under the welding helmet, like some type of mini-fan to stir up air circulation.

Productive thoughts please.

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
outbackmatt

Found a great soution from miller.
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ng-system-PPE/

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ress/coolband/
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
AtTheHelm

The only time I have this problem is when I'm using a respirator and it cold out, but the air here is really dry.
However I used to have some snowboarding goggles that always fogged on powder days when I was riding harder. I took liquid dish soap and smeared a dab all over the inside if the lens, waited a while then came back and buffed it all out with a soft towel. It kind of puts a 'wax' coating on that works, but only for a couple days.
Google around for goggle anti fog spray too, its out there but I've never used it.
Good luck
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

Check a local dive shop, they should have something that keeps divers masks from fogging.
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Jonathanjr1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Try a different set of safety glasses. At my school they have jackson safety glasses but they tend to fog up so i got my own pair of 3m safety glasses from home depot for under 20 bucks and they are anti fog.
Jonathanjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
outbackmatt

Must be our climate here is more humid than other parts of the country making things more problematic in the shop at certain times of the year.

I have to wear rx glasses so its not easy to try out different saftey glasses. The rx saftey glasses I have are anti fog and work good except under the welding helmet. As soon as I walk around the shop they usually clear up with the air flow which makes me think the miller coolband should help remove moisture from the lenses. We'll find out I have one on the way!
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I live in Georgia too and in the past 13 years i have lived here have yet to see or find anything that keeps the glasses and welding lens from fogging up totaly..the humidity and your body heat from sweating so much is killer .....

Some of the Anti-fog spray have worked a lil,but you'll still find yourself taking them off and wiping them down,thats why for the most part i am glad i don't have to supply them on jobs,because of wiping them off so much they get scratched up.

Might be worth to give a little of that anti-fog for divers as mentioned,i never used it yet

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The rain-x for interior glass helps, but I rarely wear safety glasses anymore, more hassle than they're worth for me. I only MIG weld and rarely overhead so I dont bother under my helmet anymore and I use a full face shield when I'm grinding now, doesnt fog up constantly like glasses for for me.
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

a little bar soap rubbed on them will help with fogging, not sure so much in your case though.

never had the issue, i wear anti fog glasses and they work well around here atleast.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The rain-ex anti-fog does ok but it is still a fight. Been all over the US and it is a problem in your part of the country. There are a few makes of "anti-fog" glasses but I haven't heard anyone say any thing good ro for that matter bad about them. Good luck; if you figure out a solution you may get rich.
89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Matt, several have mentioned anti-fog marketed for divers. A lot of divers, myself included, usually use plain GEL-type toothpaste to help with fogging masks. The main purpose is to remove sweat and oils from your skin that cause the lens to fog worse. Don't use white toothpaste though, it will scratch.

Just put a tiny bit of gel on them, rub it around very well with a clean finger and then rinse off with cool water. Avoid touching the lenses after cleaning or you'll just add more oil from your fingers again.

Now, after saying that, I've not done this to my safety glasses, but it works very well on diving masks. I think I'll give it a try on a pair of my safety glasses.
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
outbackmatt

The miller coolband showed up today. I'm about to try it out on a job tonight when its humid.

I needed to get a new head gear for my miller elite helmet anyway, so far it seems really comfortable and the weight is well balanced. Most of the weight is at the back of your head and it offsets the weight of the helmet. The only thing I dont like, and maybe I have it installed wrong, is the fabric shroud they say you must use that goes on the top back of your helmet. The shroud intereferes with the rubber air duct hose on the side of the band and makes raising and lowering the hood cumbersome.
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
bentbolt
2004 WJ 

I don't weld much but Im a machinist and its over 100* inside our plant. I use cheap shaving cream foam, my wife uses it on our bathroom mirror so I took her idea.
bentbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #14
WSS
II Cor 13:14

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt View Post
Yep, we use those on two hoods, it is filtered as well and lowers the temp at least 7 degrees.

Here is one we use when working the auto weld heads. It does "tether" the operator, but also lowers the temp by 20 degrees. We often hit 110 in the summer and this is a awesome solution. It is a two person supplied air pump w/variable speed that is mounted in the lunch room on top of the fridge. I cut two holes in the fridge and used a rice rocket turbo inter cooler and spa/hot tub tubing to put in the bottom veggie chiller and filled with water, I bought a bunch of those blue ice packs and keep in the freezer so if by noon or so, it can't keep the temp down, plop a few frozen blue ice packs and your good to go.

PS, alot of the fog problem comes from temp differential of the I/O of the hood. try laying your hood on something warm before gearing up, see if that works. Don't take such long breaks! You have to equalize the temps again LOL. Also try to stay a little further back from the weld, use cheaters if you need ( I just graduated to 1.5 mag, function of age though)

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
xjlife101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I use minty tooth paste. I'm also a scuba diver and use it for glasses and goggles

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.