Welders - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welders

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #31
awkrueger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitNail View Post
On the craigslist page for the MM35 it says it needs a gun. What does that mean?
That means that the gun that controls the wire/arc/sheilding gas that has the button that runs the darn is broken and /or non existant and you'll need to spend some cash to get a new one.

I picked up a used Centruy 90 amp mig for $50 a few months ago.
I didn't get it working until last week, when I took it into Airgas and had them check it out to see what was wrong with the liner (I thought it was kinked and needed to be replaced). After pricing out a replace Tweco gun for $300 it turned out the liner/gun were fine. They sold me a new tip and a 2lb spool on flux core .030 and sent me on my way.

After screwing with the wire speed I was able to strike a arc and lay a decent bead. I'm now addicted. I've been welding everyday and yesterday I just picked up a Lincoln 180c w/ a tank of argon. I'm gonna install the 240v receptacle required to run the dang thing and after that its all over.

First thing I'm gonna build is a decent welding table, then maybe a cart and then I'll move on to fabbing up a new bumper, no more trying to justify $700 for an Arb bull bar, I can just make my own.

I guess my point is that welding is an invaluable skill. $800-900 bucks on a welder is a small fee compared to the capability and the doors having a good quality welder opens. Sure, pick up a used cheapo unit and mess around with it but plan to get a quality unit soon after. You really do get what you pay for, and how much hassle do you want to go through to get a partially working used welder to work?

awkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #32
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would save your money, if you want to melt some metal for the time being then get a name brand used buzz box that you can always sell later. Stick is very good to learn on and you can find old licoln or Miller units on CL all the time that will still run great. A good mig machine will last you a life time, do it right and buy a nice one. Also remember you need to buy accessories as well, if you only got $400 to spend then look for a $300 unit. Simple things like gloves, clamps, wire/sticks, mask, power cord, wire brushes/wheels and crap can really add up fast.

I have a licoln 180 and love it....if you have 220v access I would stick with that unless you need the portability of a small 110v unit. I would not waste gas with a 110v though, stick with flux core and you will have a stronger weld.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #33
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

220v is the best option for home fab..much more penetration and easier to learn than a 110v for the fact it will weld alot hotter giving better penetration and a smoother weld for looks.

Fluxcore is actualy better than MIG for the fact it is a hotter weld to give better penetration,AND fluxcore welds can be just as nice looking as a MIG once a person learns the "eye' for the difference between the slag puddle and the metal puddle

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #34
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltine View Post
. Please back this up with facts. What new stuff are you referring to? There are load of people with 140s, 187s, 210s, 230s, etc. that would differ.
IMO means "in my opinion". I personally don't care for newer Hobarts. Their old machines were amazing, the current stuff.... Not so much. Again, that's MY opinion. If one wants facts they can research on their own. I'm speaking on MY experience.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #35
Bigwillie343
2002 TJ Wrangler 

dont mean to hijack your thread but how about a millermatic 175 for 500 bucks does that sound like a good deal and will that do all the fab necessary on a crawler?
Bigwillie343 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #36
Saltine
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post
the current stuff.... Not so much.
What current stuff are you referring to?
Rocky Mountain Edition Club, Member #6
Saltine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #37
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwillie343 View Post
dont mean to hijack your thread but how about a millermatic 175 for 500 bucks does that sound like a good deal and will that do all the fab necessary on a crawler?
I had a MM175 for several years, it is a good welder, I sold it cause I was welding too much at the top end got a bigger machine.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #38
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

i wouldn't waste your time on a 110v machine...save up until you can afford a 220 im running a hobart 210 and i've done all my bumpers and whatnot with it and it works great..AND i only run fluxcore i have no gas setup and im not following spending countless hours cleaning up from flux? all you have to do is a quick wirewheel job and thats it mine look pretty...i think flux is nice no need to worry about gas and it works fine for building crap for your jeep...
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #39
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Well I talked to my dad, he wants to get a 220v. So just gotta find a budget friendly one!

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.