Welder cart - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Welder cart

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Welder cart

I finally got to start a cart for my recently purchased welder.

It isn't quite done yet but football was starting so I had to call it a day. It is made from 1"x1"x0.125" square tubing and 1"x1"x0.125" angle iron. The tall uprights will be cut off at an ergonomic height and welded on at 90 degrees to make handles so it can be picked up and wheeled around (think wheel barrow). The welder will sit on the upper shelf. The bottom shelf will support the bottle and have storage for mask, gloves, etc. I don't know what I am going to fill in the shelves with yet. It will either be plywood or expanded metal.

Just looking for some input before I finish it up.

jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't use wood for the obvious reasons and it's a welding cart it should be all metal welded together from the welder it holds.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

tanks in the front? IMO that will make it much harder to move around, i would have put the tanks in the rear, closer to the wheels so you would not be lifting as much weight to move it, nor would you have to fight tanks being in the way to move it either.

and as said above, use metal. wood will burn, and you know slog will hit the cart.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tanks in the front not over the wheels. I use an 80 cf tank so weight shouldn't be a problem. If I find it too heavy, I will cut the posts off and weld on some wheels. I decided to go with just 2 wheels and the wheel barrow type design to save money and to prevent roll aways.
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got some time to work on it today. Just about done. Need to get the materials to make the bottom shelf and paint it. Paint will have to wait til it is nicer outside so I can open the garage door and not fumigate myself.

The two posts holding the cables up are just bed legs I had left over from cutting up the bed frame.

I don't have any good pictures of welds because, frankly, they aren't that nice. Overall I'm happy with it though.
Unread 02-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would put a bar across the the two handles to make it a one handed job to locate the welder.
Unread 02-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Your cart looks very good and functional. Do you have that tank strapped in? I hope so.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks Good!..I'm with wushaw about putting a handle across there to make rolling it around one handed much easier

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. The tank is secure with some wire until I can get a proper strap. I'll think about the cross-bar. With the tank and everything, it is kind of heavy to maneuver with 1 hand. Here is one of my welds.

Unread 02-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Picking it up from one side would be aqua rd. Clamp a bar between the two handle and try it from the center.
Weld looks good.
Unread 02-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks good, nice welds. That always seems to be the first project with a new welder. What I did was to use wheels on all for corners with two of them being swivel. Also made a handle, towel rack style. It is much easier to maneuver that way. Diamond plate makes for great shelf material too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.