Want to buy a decent auto darkening welding helmet without spending too much - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Want to buy a decent auto darkening welding helmet without spending too much

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #16
dwilliamsceg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I use this one from Amazon. Not the best but I have gone through about 10 2lb rolls with it. It is what I used to build the trailer in my sig.

Amazon.com: Neiko Solar-Powered Auto Darkening MIG/TIG Welding Helmet, ANSI Approved: Home Improvement

dwilliamsceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #17
1whitexj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've got an Arc One lens that goes in a small window hood. I love it. Got it when working at a power house. It's what my welder used every day so was good enough for me.
1whitexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
JWMII
1978 CJ7 

I recently purchased a Radnor Jetstar 5401 Fixed front,5 1/4X4 1/2 variable shade 7-14 auto lense sense adjustment. 4Mode delay & grind setting. $216.92. The big picture window front is really great. All of the other features are great as well. Wish I had spent the money long ago. They are worth it. As you get older it gets harder on the eyes and the area to weld gets harder to follow and wondering off is easy to do.
A new auto darkening hood really helps the weld quality and appearance and therefore the job satisfaction.
JWMII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #19
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu77 View Post
I am a hobby welder. I would like a auto hood. I just can't decide on what to buy. I have heard the Northern too l unit is nice.
I got the northern tool auto helmet, $50 and works great so far. I've only welded a few times, but its so much easier to learn when you don't have to flip the helmet up and down all the time.
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #20
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought one from Harbor Freight for $11.87. It took about two weeks to ship but it finally came. I love it. It's $49.99 now. Go figure...
ALRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

I know this is more then you are wanting to spend, but I have a Jackson Halo-X literally used one time for about 30 minutes for sale for $225. Cost over $420 brand new. Just dont need it any more as I have a couple of helmets. This thing looks brand spanking new. PM if interested.

I also had a Kobalt helmet which was decent, but I thought the viewing area was a little small.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #22
Alkaline
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I keep a Miller "Titanium" Elite at work since I'm doing more fab projects than ever, but at home I have a Kobalt for weekend projects. For the money ($130 or so), it's really a decent hood. My father says the filter lens is just like the old top of the line Jackson he has had for ten years or so. I doubt Kobalt makes their own, so it's probably a repackaged Jackson design.

This is the second Kobalt hood i've owned, the first one was used at work and lasted 2 years of every day welding. It decided to quit filtering one day (not the battery), so i bought the Miller and another Kobalt to keep at home.

Of all the cheaper hoods (under $150) the other guys at work have had, none have worked as well as the Kobalt. The others seem to have erratic sensing and delay, and lacked the full settings adjustments. But as the technology gets cheaper, the quality hoods have as well -so maybe harbour freight will start selling better quality hoods soon too.

EDIT: I think the reason the first Kobalt quit was due to me being so hard on it, I dropped it from high places more than once...oops

'98 TJ (toy), '91 XJ Briarwood(DD)
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #23
cpu77
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Is there any draw backs to buying a hood with 12.6sq inches. I see most of the better ones are only 5.25. I am thinking of buying one of theses with the 12.6 lens....ArcOne ® Fighting Tiger Python Welding Helmet With Varaible Shade 9 - 13 Auto-Darkening Lens With 5.25 sq. in. Viewing Area - ActiveForever.com
JKS Rear Track Bar
cpu77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #24
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu77 View Post
Is there any draw backs to buying a hood with 12.6sq inches. I see most of the better ones are only 5.25. I am thinking of buying one of theses with the 12.6 lens....ArcOne ® Fighting Tiger Python Welding Helmet With Varaible Shade 9 - 13 Auto-Darkening Lens With 5.25 sq. in. Viewing Area - ActiveForever.com
The bigger the lens the more the veiwing area,no draw backs.

Some people who need to use reading glasses will need a "cheater lens"..or also called magnifier lens,so the bigger veiwing areas have no advantage because the cheater lens are all small.

The ArcOne 4000v,5000v and 6000v all have a slight difference in the lens features and size,go to ArcOne's website and and compare the differences.

Any one of these auto lens are top dogs,it's just up to you as to how much money is justifiable to you for the better features.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #25
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
I know this is more then you are wanting to spend, but I have a Jackson Halo-X literally used one time for about 30 minutes for sale for $225. Cost over $420 brand new. Just dont need it any more as I have a couple of helmets. This thing looks brand spanking new. PM if interested.

I also had a Kobalt helmet which was decent, but I thought the viewing area was a little small.
The Jackson Halo-X is just the hood/sheild itself,they are the standard 4 1/2" x 5 1/4" viewing area,which is a common size to accept a variety of different auto lens in that size.
Jackson has several different models of auto lens for that size..the NexGen,Professional Variable,EQC variable,The Boss...etc,that makes the BIG difference in performance and price in them, is the type of lens in it.

I have the NexGen in a Halo-X hood,i personaly dont like the Halo-X at all for 2 reasons,...
it is really flimzy from being made of a soft type plastic,so it wobbles alot while welding..and being such an almost rubbery type hood,the flip down stop always pops out and the hood always rolls down too far,plus it won't stay up very well....but..i love the NexGen lens in it,gonna get a better hood for the lens.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #26
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
The Jackson Halo-X is just the hood/sheild itself,they are the standard 4 1/2" x 5 1/4" viewing area,which is a common size to accept a variety of different auto lens in that size.
Jackson has several different models of auto lens for that size..the NexGen,Professional Variable,EQC variable,The Boss...etc,that makes the BIG difference in performance and price in them, is the type of lens in it.

I have the NexGen in a Halo-X hood,i personaly dont like the Halo-X at all for 2 reasons,...
it is really flimzy from being made of a soft type plastic,so it wobbles alot while welding..and being such an almost rubbery type hood,the flip down stop always pops out and the hood always rolls down too far,plus it won't stay up very well....but..i love the NexGen lens in it,gonna get a better hood for the lens.
Yeah, the one I have has the NexGen lense. Really is a great helmet. I had no problems with it. Didnt seem flimsy and had no problem keeping it up I AM TALKING ABOUT THE WELDING HELMET
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #27
Fflintstone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When I bought my welders 13 years ago I bought a $300 Jackson with a large viewing area. It took a crap last summer after I was laid off 2 months. Being strapped for cash I bought a harbor freight one for $30 some dollars with the %20 coupon. I have to say I have burned over 22lbs of wire in a home setting and have had no problems what so ever.
It doesn’t have the field of view my Jackson had, but I am a much better welder now and can deal with it. As much as I hate having no money to buy the “best” tools, I can honestly say that the HF helmet is not a P.O.S.

Screw it I'm too old for this crap!
Fflintstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
auto-dark , budget , cheap , welding helmet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.