Used Skid Row Skid Plate Fab. ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Used Skid Row Skid Plate Fab. ?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Used Skid Row Skid Plate Fab. ?

I purchased a Skid Plate off CL today and it is to long for my 99 6cyl.TJ
The guy told me it came off his wrangler. After further looking it belongs on a Limited.
My question. I was thinking about taking it somewhere to have them cut off the excess that prohibits me from attaching it to my Jeep.
Is this something that can be easily done at a low cost?
Where would I look in the yellow pages?
Thanks.
Any tips or help would be appreciated.

johnxjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
05JGC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a $20 grinder and do it yourself.
05JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

3/16" steel. How long would that take?
For someone to cut it with a tourch would 20.00 do it in your opinion?
Unread 09-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

An angle grinder will whip through that - probably won't burn up even a whole cutting disc.

A torch will give it a pretty ugly appearance along the edge. If that's OK for you then go by a welding company and ask them to hack it off - 20 bucks cash should do.
Unread 09-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would get a grinder, it will be a very useful tool in the end. Cutting blades are cheap and they will have no problems cutting through that.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you buy the grinder, you will have a tool to be able to use again & again instead of just one 20.00 cut job from a welder.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #7
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For someone who is some what mechanically inclined, is it easily done?
Cutting through that kind of steel and keeping a straight line and all ?
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
05JGC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes its very easy. You'll need a face shield of some sort, although not absolutely needed, it add a bunch of safety to the equation. I pair of gloves isnt always a bad idea either.

I'd get a permanant marker with a straight edge and mark where you want to cut it. Try to keep the blade running in a straight line and i bet you'll be surprised by how easy it is. The blade is straight anyways so much like a circular saw for wood, it wants to cut straight. Guide it in the right direction via your eyes and your guide line and you'll be fine. Also, you'll want to make sure you pick up the right blade for what your cutting and try to get the slimmest possible blade that'll do the work your doing. Not only will it take much less time by having to grind/cut through less material, it'll be easier to handle.
05JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks.
I get a little nervous the 1st time I try something on my Jeep, however I am learning as I go.
I do not want to cut the steel the wrong way and be out 70.00 for the skid.
I do not know if it will really work. I have got a call in to skid row to ask for the measurements and to see if it is doable.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.