Understanding benders (& welder amps) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Understanding benders (& welder amps)

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
alecmcmahon

Understanding benders (& welder amps)

Im in the process of starting to finish my garage, starting electrical work and drywall, etc.

After the garage is done i'd like to start a truggy / buggy project if funds allow, ideally, as a novice, i'd prob. buy somebodys unfinished project and continue with that to learn.

With that said, Benders is one of those things that still confuse me, having never seen one being used in person.

Are tons of separate dies needed for various bends? could the average cage builder get away with one or two? In what sort of scenario might the tons of other degree dies come in handy? I see typically they are listed as ' different wall sizes and different degrees ' . Elaborate?

Is special computer software required for planning and bending?

Manual vs Hydro benders? the JD Squared, Inc. benders look * reasonably * priced. They have various models from smaller hand powered benders, ones with hydrolic rams, and pumps , etc. Are the manual hand ones easy enough to use with standard DOM pipe? 1.75x0.120 and thicker, for example - cages and ' buggy ' projects? Will I be tired and sore after making two bends? or they reasonable enough for the average person.

Also, on the other side of the spectrum. Welders... Interested in the Hobart 210, I cant seem to pull up a spec sheet off the northentool site, what size breaker / wire is required off the breaker panel for it to run safely?

thanks!

Unread 09-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Google is you friend. hobart welders
Hobart Welders - Products - Wire Feed Welders - Handler 210
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When getting a bender it's all about die choice. I went a long time with only 1 die and it never set me back. I only have 3 now and it's because I just wouldn't use any other ones.

JD2 benders are great! I personally converted mine to an air/hydro unit after my first 2 bends because I didn't want to put that much work into it. My air/hydro unit was I think $100 and I built all the brackets out of extra steel I had laying around.

I started off with only an 1.75" die and never got held up. Now I have 1.75" 1.50" and then a 1" die and am able to do pretty much whatever I want.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactFabWorks View Post
When getting a bender it's all about die choice. I went a long time with only 1 die and it never set me back. I only have 3 now and it's because I just wouldn't use any other ones.

JD2 benders are great! I personally converted mine to an air/hydro unit after my first 2 bends because I didn't want to put that much work into it. My air/hydro unit was I think $100 and I built all the brackets out of extra steel I had laying around.

I started off with only an 1.75" die and never got held up. Now I have 1.75" 1.50" and then a 1" die and am able to do pretty much whatever I want.
so basically separate dies are only for different diameter tube?
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
so basically separate dies are only for different diameter tube?
No,,there is also different size radius dies,which in some cases you might want a shorter radius,like on a roll cage,i would want a tight radius at the front of the cage by the windsheild,but a longer radius on the main hoop.

You can get by with one radius,but if i was going professional,i would want different radius dies in the same diameter size

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Look at the Hobart Ironman 230 also, I just bought one a few weeks ago and it is the cats meow, it puts my old MM175 to shame.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

IMO different radius dies aren't necessary for different parts of a cage/chassis. I have been building full tube chassis' for Trophy Trucks, rock crawlers and pre-runners for the last 8 years and at 5 different places, plus my shop. We have never used different radius dies. Always one die per diameter.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Unread 09-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
IMO different radius dies aren't necessary for different parts of a cage/chassis. I have been building full tube chassis' for Trophy Trucks, rock crawlers and pre-runners for the last 8 years and at 5 different places, plus my shop. We have never used different radius dies. Always one die per diameter.
So what do you do...just get a die that'll make your tightest bend, and for any other bend you only go as far as you need to?
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
So what do you do...just get a die that'll make your tightest bend, and for any other bend you only go as far as you need to?
Pretty much. All of my dies and all the dies I have used, all would bend full 180*. Just becasue a die does 180* doesn't mean you have to bend it to 180*. I'll try to dig up some pictures or a couple chassis that have mutiple bends degrees and were all bend with 1 die.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Unread 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well I have zero pictures on my lap top so I ran out and took a crappy cell pic. But this chassis id bend with only 1 die per diameter.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Unread 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I just use the smallest radius per tubing size. For about 5 years all I had was a 1.75"x5.5" CLR die.. built a couple buggies, a few dozen cages and a few hundred winch hoops/stingers. I pushed the bender manually for about a year, then converted to air/hydro. Finally, this past year, I went to elec/hydro (got some of the parts in a trade). With elec/hydro, I can bend to 180 deg in about 30 seconds or so..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
alecmcmahon

ah, i found this image that i think explains what you guys were talking about.

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista...ender/CLRs.jpg

what would be the most common/useful size somebody would typically buy for their first and second die.

Thanks.
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I see a red X?

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Unread 09-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
alecmcmahon

Quote:
I see a red X?
should work now.
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #15
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

HAHAHA now I see 2 red X's. But the secong die really depends on the kind of things you want to make really. My second die was 1.5" because I wanted to do some tube fenders and started making the seat mounts in my cages alittle smaller material. Then I had some ideas for roof racks and had a some light bars to build for a buddy and went ahead and got a 1" die. so it depends on what you want to make in the long run. But I used my 1.75" and 1.5" the most

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.