JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Fabrication Shop (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/)
-   -   Ugly Welds...help? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/ugly-welds-help-1528125/)

StrokedWJ 05-25-2013 01:56 PM

Ugly Welds...help?
 
Its been a year or so since I needed to use my welder and in that time I got sold my Lincoln 180 and am now using a Hobart 187. I can't seem to get the hang of the Hobart. I've got ugly tacks with craters. I've checked polarity and its correct according to the sticker inside the door. 1/8" steel, cleaned, Pwr. lvl 5, wire speed 50, ~20cfm 25/75 gas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psc12abbdc.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psbcb41630.jpg

tjcj 05-25-2013 03:28 PM

Kinda looks like you forgot to turn on the gas or ran out of gas ? Maybe a breeze blowing away your shielding gas.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum

rebelbowtie 05-25-2013 03:43 PM

Yea youre losing your shielding, you need to turn up the flow or take the piece inside. You may also have some rusty wire causing some of the perosity.

95YamJam 05-25-2013 04:50 PM

Like said above looks like poor sheilding or wind. I have a weldmark 187. Try 3/40 with about 15-20cfm.

wushaw 05-26-2013 05:05 PM

See if you even getting gas to the nozzle first, undo the roller off the wire feed so wire don't feed out and hit the trigger and listen for gas flow at the nozzle.

StrokedWJ 05-26-2013 05:17 PM

Thanks for the replys. I'll look into the gas issue. I could see the regulator needle moving when I'd push the trigger. It was definitely a little windy too.

danielbuck 05-26-2013 08:35 PM

What I do before I start doing my first weld of the day, is I undo the rollers on the wire, pull the trigger for a few seconds to clear the tube of air so that it's all full of the mix gas. Then I pop the roller back on and start welding. Before I started doing that, every now and then my first weld would look ugly and pitted like that. But even so, after a few seconds of welding the gas should fill the tube. Definitely check to make sure gas is coming out. And yea, a little bit of wind will carry it away :-\ I try to do all of my welding just inside my garage, 4 feet or so. That usually does the trick. If I have to weld on the jeep outside, I just wait until I don't feel any wind, then go.

wushaw 05-27-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrokedWJ
Thanks for the replys. I'll look into the gas issue. I could see the regulator needle moving when I'd push the trigger. It was definitely a little windy too.

The needle on the regulator doesn't tell you if your getting gas at the nozzle. If the gun lead is not plugged into the machine all the way the gas will just diffuse into the machine, if the O rings are shot then it will do the same thing.

It takes 2 seconds to open the machine & lift the roller tensioner off to keep wire from feeding into your ear while you listen for gas.

Syncityj 05-27-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrokedWJ
Its been a year or so since I needed to use my welder and in that time I got sold my Lincoln 180 and am now using a Hobart 187. I can't seem to get the hang of the Hobart. I've got ugly tacks with craters. I've checked polarity and its correct according to the sticker inside the door. 1/8" steel, cleaned, Pwr. lvl 5, wire speed 50, ~20cfm 25/75 gas.


It looks like the heat maybe too hot, and when you finish your puddle, or your wide weave you long arc. From what I have been told, you want to maintain about a 1/8" gap from weld to tip. When you're doing puddle welds I will circle the puddle once and pull straight up and out. You don't want to move slow at the end or you will long arc and burn a hole in your piece.

StrokedWJ 05-27-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wushaw (Post 15484845)
The needle on the regulator doesn't tell you if your getting gas at the nozzle. If the gun lead is not plugged into the machine all the way the gas will just diffuse into the machine, if the O rings are shot then it will do the same thing.

It takes 2 seconds to open the machine & lift the roller tensioner off to keep wire from feeding into your ear while you listen for gas.

Just checked and I do have gas at the nozzle. Thanks for the suggestion on how to check.

bigbossd1030 05-27-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrokedWJ

Just checked and I do have gas at the nozzle. Thanks for the suggestion on how to check.

It's porosity. Don't weld with gas in wind. You can fart and it will blow it away. I you are welding outside crank the gas. When I weld inside I and at 34-36cfm. A little more gas beats a weak weld with porosity in it. An having to grind out the bad weld.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.

Ironworker709 05-28-2013 07:29 AM

I run at most 15-20 inside,and maybe 25 outside ,it doesnt matter how high it's set outside,if the wind blows it's goin to blow away your sheilding and cause porosity.

Check the O-rings and possible cuts or holes and flat spots or kinks on your whip hose.

95YamJam 05-28-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironworker709 (Post 15488667)
I run at most 15-20 inside,and maybe 25 outside ,it doesnt matter how high it's set outside,if the wind blows it's goin to blow away your sheilding and cause porosity.

Check the O-rings and possible cuts or holes and flat spots or kinks on your whip hose.

X2 15 to 20 is more than enough with 75/25.

Honestly knowing that welder it was too hot for power plus possible wind issues.

schitzangiggles 05-31-2013 03:22 AM

I have had an exhaust fan blow away my shielding gas. Thats why I stick weld, no shop or garage and a gravel driveway is all I have.

wickedwj99 06-03-2013 03:59 AM

1 no shielding gas 2 don't run above 15-20 max 25. That's what I used while In Iraq while In sand storms. 3 use a shielding blanket if there is to much wind.


The time now is 02:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.