Type of steel for front/rear bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Type of steel for front/rear bumpers

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Fitch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Type of steel for front/rear bumpers

So I work for a steel building manufacturing company and I ended up checking with the operations director about loading up some scrap. He said it wouldn't be a problem but asked what kind of steel I was looking for?

I'm no expert on metal or fabrication work so what should I tell this guy? Should I just ask for an I beam and call it good lol?

Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd take what ever he is willing to let you have,i'm assuming you mean its a Pre-Engineered building company like for example a Butler or American Building.

It also really depends on what kind of tools and equipment you have at home to work with to cut up and fabricate a bumper with..welder..cuttin torch,,grinder,cut wheels...etc etc.

Most of the Girders and Perlins i've ever seen on Pre Fab buildings are 1/8" to 3/16" material..which is pretty common for a bumper,plus the knee brace material,bridging stiffeners for the perlins...etc

Anything from sheetmetal up to 1/4" material would be good scrap to have around for jeep projects

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm with IW, whenever I'm offered free steel anywhere in the size/thickness range I typically work with, I take it. I can't tell you how many times I've been able to pull a piece from the scrap box, bucket, or pile and use it in a project or fix I'm working on. Especially convenient late at night or after business hours on the weekends. I say if it's free, take it! (I'm cheap)
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Some structural steel may have a different tensile strength than mild (a36). T1, A50 (or grade 50) is typical for buildings and bridges here in Kali. The main difference is in the tensile strength, or the ability to flex and return. Mild gives up pretty quick but does not break when extremely folded/bent. I would say structural steel would be good for Jeep projects. AR plate no dice, brittle when hit hard.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.