Tubing bender options - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
xcnick38
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Tubing bender options

I'm looking into purchasing a tubing bender for some small projects my buddies and I will be tackling in the next few months to a year... I've found quite a few of them and I'm unsure as to which one would the best "bang for the buck"... I think we will mainly be bending 1.5"-2.0" tubing, mainly for roll cages and maybe some tube flares and bumper hoops.

I saw this as an ad on facebook this morning...
https://www.roguefab.com/product-cat...ubing-benders/

I found these by a quick google search.
http://www.trick-tools.com/Manual_Benders_126

I'd like to stay around $500, but would spend a little more for something better. I have a harbor freight locally, but I've watched videos on youtube where their bender kinks the tube when trying to make sharper bends...

Also, one that has a build in notcher would be nice too!

Any help/tips is greatly appreciated

91' YJ wrangler,4" rc lift, 5/8" M.O.R.E boomerang shackles, 15x8 pro comp wheels, 33x12.5 BFG KM2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 AM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest something like the the Pro-tools type bender. There are several horz. or vert. version and they will all work.
The dies are going to cost almost as much as the bender, per die, they are not cheap.
Also buy the 180deg dies, don't cheap out on the 90. I have some of both and not that the 180 is used to it's full capacity very often, but when needed, it's nice to have.
I would suggest a hydraulic conversion, be it the HF air over hyd. ram conversion or a full on hyd. version. This will allow you to put wheels on the bender cart and not have to put mounting anchors in the floor.
If doing the HF air over ram, I prefer the Copperhead style (think they are out of business) but it mount the the bottom of the ram. Trick tool has a different style that grabs the cylinder. I'm sure Trick's works well but I had a homemade version that crushed the ram cylinder, just be careful if making a home version of the Trick.

92 YJ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #3 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
xcnick38
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobracing View Post
I would suggest something like the the Pro-tools type bender. There are several horz. or vert. version and they will all work.
The dies are going to cost almost as much as the bender, per die, they are not cheap.
Also buy the 180deg dies, don't cheap out on the 90. I have some of both and not that the 180 is used to it's full capacity very often, but when needed, it's nice to have.
I would suggest a hydraulic conversion, be it the HF air over hyd. ram conversion or a full on hyd. version. This will allow you to put wheels on the bender cart and not have to put mounting anchors in the floor.
If doing the HF air over ram, I prefer the Copperhead style (think they are out of business) but it mount the the bottom of the ram. Trick tool has a different style that grabs the cylinder. I'm sure Trick's works well but I had a homemade version that crushed the ram cylinder, just be careful if making a home version of the Trick.

Thanks for the info! I would definitely like to get some type of hydro assist, the one link I posted has a air/hydraulic set-up you can add for like $109, which I didn't think was too bad.

91' YJ wrangler,4" rc lift, 5/8" M.O.R.E boomerang shackles, 15x8 pro comp wheels, 33x12.5 BFG KM2
post #4 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 11:40 AM
AtTheHelm

I have the Rogue fab bender with a few dies...
When I bought it I felt it was the best 'bang for the buck' and liked how little space it uses being a vertical bender. My only issue with it is the HF ram. When I'm bending 1.75x.120 the ram is LOUD with a hard banging sound. I have replaced the ram a couple times, bled it, added fluid so I'm not sure why it does that. Others than that I've been happy with it.
I opted for the 6.0" CLR 1.75" die and happy I did too. Good luck!
post #5 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A quality manual bender, a single die, and a notcher will put you around a grand.. If you don't want to waste even more money learning/ wasting DOM I'd suggest something like Bendtech pro as well.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 02:49 PM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
A quality manual bender, a single die, and a notcher will put you around a grand.. If you don't want to waste even more money learning/ wasting DOM I'd suggest something like Bendtech pro as well.
I'll second Bendtech

92 YJ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #7 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

I picked up 1-1/4 130deg die from trick tools for 130 then got a 12 ton jack and made my own bender. A lot of people do something along that line then upgrade it as needed. I also have a Harbor Freight tubing roller which actually surprised me. I've bent a few things and am now working on a roof rack.
I've always figured i'm not doing this as a profession yet so there is no need for super expensive metalworking equipment. If you're inclined enough to be bending tube then i'm assuming you can weld. And if you can weld then you can make your own bender.
Attached Images

post #8 of 14 Old 01-19-2016, 04:35 PM
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobracing View Post

I'll second Bendtech
X3

Sent from my phone using JeepForum

Yakima Valley Mountaineers.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Unlimitedlou

2012 JK Wrangler 

Get a jd2 and don't look back. Get bend tec software and you will be a pro. I have bent all kinds of stuff with it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2005 Unlimited Rubicon, too much junk to list!-sold
2012 JKU Orange Crush
post #10 of 14 Old 01-27-2016, 04:07 PM
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

any big name bender will be good. JD2, Pro Tools or Rogue.

I have a Pro Tools with copperhead fab air/hydro conversion. Bender, die, and air/hydro conversion with stand it is about $1300 to buy new. Rogue is best bang for your buck, you can be bending for about $800 all in with one die.

Bend tech is all on you. Not worth it IMO. Not much it can do that i can't with some pretty simple math. If i waste tube, 99% of the time it is my error such as me placing in the the bender in the wrong orientation. Bent many cages and such, very little wasted tube and never used bend tech.

Get a bender, get a good notcher as well. Really happy with my Rogue Versa notcher.

1998 ZJ-- lowered a touch

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

Fat Amy-1989 K5 blazer. Linked, lifted, 38.5's on won tons. Big Girls can play in the woods too.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-27-2016, 04:08 PM
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I've got the JD2 Model 3 and am happy with it.

As someone mentioned, you're looking at 1K to get a bender, 1 die and a tube notcher. I got pretty good at notching with a 4.5" cutoff wheel so I never bought a notcher.

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
post #12 of 14 Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Motobilt
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a owned many different benders over the years. Pro-Tools makes a nice bender. I have also owned a much higher end Ercolina rotary draw bender which was awesome. I currently own a JMR MFG bender. I really like the speed of the hydraulic bender versus air over hydraulic. JMR offers a couple die options. If you want a die that will last a long time get the hardened dies from JMR.

Dan DuBose - I Build Stuff!!!
Motobilt
post #13 of 14 Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
xcnick38
1991 YJ Wrangler 

After some research and all the replies I've decided to go with the JD2 with the hydraulic upgrade... I think for what I plan on using it for it will be perfect.

Thanks for all the help!

post #14 of 14 Old 02-04-2016, 11:35 PM
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I removed the handle of my manual JD2 bender and put on a trailer/camper jack with a few simple brackets welded to it. Removed the crank handle and welded on a large nut to the output shaft of the jack. Then use a wrench or a drill or an impact to turn the jack screw and bend the tube. It works really well, and the jack was about $35 brand new.

I have no clue how much pressure is being put on the jack, and how long it can stand being used like this (I suppose you could drill the tube and add some additional grease zerks!) but the rating on this one that I used is supposed to push 5,000 lbs.

The video here shows a 90 degree bend of typical roll cage sized tube, (I miss-spoke the size in the video) 1.75" .120 HREW, bent with one hand! (camera was in the other hand!) The stand wasn't bolted down, it was just resting flat on the concrete.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.