Tube Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tube Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Lime Jeep

Tube Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier

I have a Olympic All-Terrain Rock Slider and I like the bumper, but I want fab a Swingout Tire Carrier to add to the bumper. Personally I never have welded anything, my father said he would teach me and let me use his tools . We got a stick welder, and a tig welder(if i remember correctly), and a whole basement full of other tools...So my question is how exactly should I go about securing the tire swingout to the tube bumper(i have only seen on square bumpers), and would it be possible to use similar tubing as the bumper or should i use square metal? 2nd question, what tools are recommended for this job?(because, if we dont got it, i can trick my dad into gettin some new tools )

Any advice on the subject is greatly appreciated, Thanks

Lime Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
hoytheld

you could use square, round, whatever and "fish mouth" it to the OD of the bumper tube...then weld it on....that's what i would do! The tools you need would be a hole saw the same OD as your bumper....makes a nicer fish mouth the "hillbilly" way ! If you decide to go the holesaw route...you will need a drill press and vise....fishmouthing this way, you cannot do it by hand!!!

let me know the OD of your bumper...I can get you a holesaw and arbor...just pay S&H!!!

like this:
Aluminum, Steel, Stainless, Titanium
[URL="jhweldfab.com"]jhweldfab.com[/URL]
hoytheld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Lime Jeep

Input?

thats kinda the idea i was thinking of, I will get the OD for ya tomarrow and maybe u can give me some tips

anyone else got any input?

Back

Back Angle

Just a good front shot
Unread 05-05-2006, 01:32 AM   #4
Lime Jeep

Just found this....here is a pic of the tire swing you can buy for my bumper...what do yall think about how it connects?
Unread 05-05-2006, 04:00 AM   #5
hoytheld

well
if you want to do something like that...you could use shaft clamps to go around your bumper then build the mount off of those....once again...get me an OD and I can send you some two piece stainless shaft clamps...I would say if you were to replecate that style as close as possible...you would need at least 4 and maybe as high as 8. This would be an inexpensive way to do it...and it would be easy on and off

are those bumpers and stuff wrinkle powdercoated??? looks like it....I have some of that if you are interested....can only do pieces small enough to fit in an ordinary kitchen oven
Unread 05-05-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Lime Jeep

Thanks man for hooking me up, i greatly need the help. lol. is the the right way to mount a plate to the clamps or is there a right/easier/better way? dont laugh....i hate paint...

Unread 05-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
hoytheld

That's how I'd do it!...laugh...I use paint "cad" all the time
Unread 05-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've never seen one of these up close and personal, but I've seen these in catalogs and of course that picture you posted, but I would think that the "add-on" tire swing does not mount to the bumper. It sort of looks like it mounts to your cross member at the frame rails and wraps around the existing bumper, maybe braces itself on the rear bumper. If that is the case, the tire swing mounts look like some really deep channels, maybe MC channels. The web of the channel would have hole aligning with the holes in the cross member, and the holes in the existing bumper mount, bolt through all three pieces. From there you can see how the fabbed the swing up from that picture. Thats my two cents.

Pssst, by the way, when I'm trying to copy something (I'm not very creative) I check quadratec's installation/instruction page at their site. I know they sell this stuff, so check and see if you can get your hands on an the OEM installation instructions, they can turn night into day in the right hands. Just don't tell quadratec.

EDIT: nevermind, I can't find that section at quadratec anymore, guess they figured me out!
Unread 05-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
rsm688

im in the same boat as you, ive got a tbt front tube bumper and im gonna fab some tube fenders and now i want a tube rear tire carrier, im gonna make a bumper similar to the one on the green jeep and i was gonna holesaw a hole in the top tube rail big enough to fit one of the round tire carrier hinges and weld it in cut a hole kinda lik this___( )____and weld in the round hinge and then use a latch on the other side....i will make a paint picture in a minute
Unread 05-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Lime Jeep

Sorry, i havnt got the OD on my rear bumper, my weekend was crazy! I got one final left, and its my French Revolution Class....the french....but come tuesday at 1pm, im done with all my finals! and from then until friday afternoon, all i got is time and lots of jeep ideas! Hopefully i will get my plans made out for my rear tire carrier and with the help of 'holytheld' get the right parts for it and i wanna the nylon netting cage the week 2 .
Unread 05-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #11
rsm688

make sure to take lots of pics of the build, im planning on doing one soon and wanna see what you do with it
Unread 05-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #12
hoytheld

no problem pal...won't be back to work until Saturday...that's where I "borrow" parts from.....let me know!!
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #13
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

as a change in thought process...

Have you thought about making something like the CJ swingouts? That way you can avoid drillin' on your rear bumper...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.