Tub mounted tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tub mounted tire carrier

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Ruff88
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tub mounted tire carrier

Removed the rear seat from the jeep and have just been strapping down my 35" spare. I want to raise it up so I have more space to store tools etc.

My plan is to use 1/8" angle iron mounted to the bed rails using the holes from the top mounting and then spanning the width of the tub with 2x2x1/8" square tubing with a riser coming out with a plate and studs to mount the tire too. I'd probably cover it with some type of plywood etc. to seal it up.

Will that be sturdy enough to carry the weight of the tire while wheeling?

Thanks

Ruff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yea you should be good. I mounted mine to the roll bar with 1.5x1.5x 1/8" tubing and its solid. Are you talking about one crossmember? If so it might be a little on the light side.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff88 View Post
Removed the rear seat from the jeep and have just been strapping down my 35" spare. I want to raise it up so I have more space to store tools etc.

My plan is to use 1/8" angle iron mounted to the bed rails using the holes from the top mounting and then spanning the width of the tub with 2x2x1/8" square tubing with a riser coming out with a plate and studs to mount the tire too. I'd probably cover it with some type of plywood etc. to seal it up.

Will that be sturdy enough to carry the weight of the tire while wheeling?

Thanks
Here is what I did;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...rrier-1029972/

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.