Tub mount hinges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tub mount hinges

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Pooples
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tub mount hinges

Alright, I've searched the forum and can't find a thing. I need some help here! I want to build a tub mount swing away tire carrier but have no idea where to find hinges for such a project. I thought about hinges off of a pathfinder carrier, but I doubt they will be strong enough. Anyone have any ideas where i should look??? I have googled this and found nothing. TIA

Pooples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
corvetteguy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

jeeptubes.com
corvetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My only word of advice is to reenforce the tub behind where you mount the hinge somehow. Maybe with a large plate of 3/16" to spread the load out. Otherwise you risk seriously mangling the tub
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
Pooples
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yeah, i plan on making a bracket that goes from the rollbar mount to the tub to reinforce it really well. Jeeptubes.com is pretty sweet, but I don't think they have what I'm looking for. I'll have to keep them in mind for other projects though!
Unread 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
corvetteguy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://shop.jeeptubes.com/category.s...?categoryId=10
Unread 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
rlockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvetteguy View Post
I'm just as confused as the OP, there's nothing on those pages even close to resembling what the guy is looking for..?

Are you looking to add an additional set of hinges to the existing tail gate hinges? The few builds ive seen completed used the swag off road drop down tailgate conversion, which opens up the original hinges for a tire carrier. I've often considered building a set of "dual purpose" hinges, where a tire carrier is hinged outboard of the tailgate. However, since they would follow different arcs the tailgate couldn't be opened without first opening the tire carrier, which seems like it would be an annoyance. There are a few ways to engineer around it, (such as using a tie rod to push the tire carrier ahead of the tail gate) but I haven't felt like putting in the work quite yet.
rlockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Mopar1994
2000 TJ Wrangler 

On WAC jeepers tj-6 build there is a carrier just like a tub mounted one but it is welded to PSC corner guards and not to the tub. there are pictures on page 11, 12 and 22

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...3/index11.html

Last edited by Mopar1994; 07-12-2011 at 03:04 PM..
Mopar1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
corvetteguy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what I was seeing, have used, were those weld on tabs. We have mounted a bar aross the bumper mount area, weld tabs to it and use that as the swing down hinge. I too much rattle you can insert a bushing as needed.
Unread 07-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
corvetteguy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Im sorry...I read it as "Swing Down".....i reread it and see my error...

Sorry
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:02 AM   #10
Pooples
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I plan on fabing up a hinge bracket that bolts under the original tailgate hinge brackets very much like the OR-FAB tub mount carrier. So I have my design, and most all of my parts now except for the hinges... I still dont know what to do about those.
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
P_RIDDY
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You could use Heim joints and make a bracket out of some 2 or 3 inch channel and just use a bolt or pin down thru the heim joint?!
P_RIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
Pooples
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thats exactly what I'm looking for! I didn't know what they were called. Thanks!
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would base it off the Bestop Tub mount carrier...It is made so the tailgate and tire carrier open together, yet allowing them to swing in different arcs...

I wouldn't use a heim in this application. A greasble rubber bushing like a fixed control arm would be best...

example:

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
Pooples
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrailratedJ View Post

I would base it off the Bestop Tub mount carrier...It is made so the tailgate and tire carrier open together, yet allowing them to swing in different arcs...

I wouldn't use a heim in this application. A greasble rubber bushing like a fixed control arm would be best...

example:
That pretty sweet, but I think its a little out of my price range to build. I'm leaning more towards the OR-FAB jerry can carrier design. I go bouldering several times a week, and it would be nice to slide my bouldering pad inbetween the tub and carrier instead of taking up the whole rear seat. I got my tubing bent up today, now I just have to figure out which heim joints to go with. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.