Trimming rear fender - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Trimming rear fender

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 01-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Trailabite
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Trimming rear fender

Ok, it's a little more than that: I have an 05 TJ with TNT tube fenders on the back. At full flex my tires are pushing into the the front section of the fender well so I want to trim this section. The TNT fenders are 3/16" thick steel and I don't want to take them off. I'm thinking on using a 4" grinder with a cutting wheel. Is there a better idea?

Trailabite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
4bangerYJ

Sawzall. I'd use the grinder with cut off wheel if it will get in there. Wear a face shield!
4bangerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Trailabite
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangerYJ View Post
Sawzall. I'd use the grinder with cut off wheel if it will get in there. Wear a face shield!
The sawzall will definitely cut through it but I need to preserve the actual fender underneath the TNT steel. I would like to try and not cut through the pinch welds and mess all of that up.
Unread 01-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailabite View Post
At full flex my tires are pushing into the the front section of the fender well so I want to trim this section.
Pushing into the only the front of the TNT fender or the factory fender also?
If you just want to trim the TNT fender... don't be lazy, take it off and cut it...

If you're hitting the factory fender... some adj. CAs and move the axle back.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Trailabite
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
Pushing into the only the front of the TNT fender or the factory fender also?
If you just want to trim the TNT fender... don't be lazy, take it off and cut it...

If you're hitting the factory fender... some adj. CAs and move the axle back.
I would have to trim the back side also if I moved the axle back, the tires just barely touch the fender now. I may just take the TNT fenders off and trim it up the right way. There just so dang heavy...........................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.