Trick to smooth out steel after welding (for a finish look)? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Trick to smooth out steel after welding (for a finish look)?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Trick to smooth out steel after welding (for a finish look)?

I am going to be extending my 3/16" crusher corners 6" this weekend (to fill in the gap after moving my rear axle back) with some 6" 3/16" flat bar. Does anyone know the best way to smooth out my welds so you can can't tell that I welded in the piece of 6" flat bar? I have done stuff like this before and after grinding and then flap wheeling the weld down (80 grit flap wheel), you can always see where I welded (little ripples) because obviously I grinding to deep in some spots. Do I need to use a 200 grit flap wheel or just grind the head of the weld down and then use an orbital sander (that would probably take a while)? I am also using a stick welder and probably some 6013 for this job (only welder I have). Let me know your tips....

Here is a visual of what I am doing:

Last edited by tweba99; 03-06-2008 at 10:49 AM..
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can use a grinder to get the bulk. Then switch over to a block and sand paper with 60 grit.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
00BlackdOut
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've always used flapper discs, probably about a 120 grit or so, with a light touch. I built an entertainment center and smoothed out the welds that way. It sits in my living room, so it's not hard on the eyes at all.
00BlackdOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy View Post
You can use a grinder to get the bulk. Then switch over to a block and sand paper with 60 grit.
Block and sand steel plate sounds like a lot of work to me.

Go over the welds the first time with a grinder. I like using a 36 grit flap type wheel. It removes fast. Once the welds are getting close to the level of the base metal quit. Now go to a red sanding disc. I like the 80-120 grit to start. Get the weld down to where you are just starting to get scratches in the base metal. Now quit that. Look over the welds real good now. If you have any pits or low spots run another bead over those areas and re-grind them. Once you get everything looking pretty good get a 220 sanding disc and finish the area. Feather a couple inches into the base metal. Very small pits and the 220 scratches will fill with primer. And before you call it done do spray the job with some primer so you can "see" how you did better. Where most jobs like this get screwed up is when you get too aggresive with the grinder and cut into the base metal. Once you get everything smoothed it will look wavy if the base metal was cut into very much. And of course, make sure you bevel the 1/4" stuff well before welding.

BTW I presume you have a A/C only machine? Try some of that 7018 AC rod. Really nice stuff. Very high quailty smooth welds.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Block and sand steel plate sounds like a lot of work to me.

Go over the welds the first time with a grinder. I like using a 36 grit flap type wheel. It removes fast. Once the welds are getting close to the level of the base metal quit. Now go to a red sanding disc. I like the 80-120 grit to start. Get the weld down to where you are just starting to get scratches in the base metal. Now quit that. Look over the welds real good now. If you have any pits or low spots run another bead over those areas and re-grind them. Once you get everything looking pretty good get a 220 sanding disc and finish the area. Feather a couple inches into the base metal. Very small pits and the 220 scratches will fill with primer. And before you call it done do spray the job with some primer so you can "see" how you did better. Where most jobs like this get screwed up is when you get too aggresive with the grinder and cut into the base metal. Once you get everything smoothed it will look wavy if the base metal was cut into very much. And of course, make sure you bevel the 1/4" stuff well before welding.

BTW I presume you have a A/C only machine? Try some of that 7018 AC rod. Really nice stuff. Very high quailty smooth welds.
Thanks for the advice. What is a red sanding disc? Is this something that I put on my grinder? orbital sander? hand?

Yes, I have an A/C welder but I figured I would use 6013 since this will not be structual and i won't have to burn it quite as hot.
Unread 03-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard of using JB weld to smooth things out. I've never tried it, but it sounded like a pretty good idea. It sounds like Bob has a good plan.
Unread 03-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweba99 View Post
What is a red sanding disc? Is this something that I put on my grinder? orbital sander? hand?
You can buy a sanding disc at places like Home Depot. Red is Red Oxide paper. Fast, but smooth cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweba99 View Post
Yes, I have an A/C welder but I figured I would use 6013 since this will not be structual and i won't have to burn it quite as hot.
No more heat with the 7018 AC. 3/32 needs about 80-95 amps to run and the 1/8 needs 100-120 amps. And it is more structural than the 6013.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You can buy a sanding disc at places like Home Depot. Red is Red Oxide paper. Fast, but smooth cutting.
I am asking what do you use the sanding disc on? Is it something you attach to an angle grinder? Drill? Orbital Sander? Palm of your hand?

Quote:
No more heat with the 7018 AC. 3/32 needs about 80-95 amps to run and the 1/8 needs 100-120 amps. And it is more structural than the 6013.
I know 7018 is more structual than 6013 and I was just stating that this is not really a structural purpose so that is why I was going to use 6013. I don't have much use for it (since it is not a structural rod) so I figured this was a good project to use it on.
Unread 03-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
RedMountainYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

or try 7014. pretty wicked stuff
Unread 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMountainYJ View Post
or try 7014. pretty wicked stuff
I think I need DC to run that......
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #11
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

FWIW - BigBob pointed Dogman towards 7018AC and it improved the welds - I could almost say drastically. I don't know enough about stick to know why but Dogman said there was a big difference between the two.

And I've also heard of using JB Weld to fill holes...that might just work, it would be easier than making some spot welds to fill in smaller holes because you'd have alot less grinding...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
jason m
your ad here...

i use a worn out 36 grit. i hold the grinder as flat as i can wate till the pad warms up ( you will feel it bite ) then i drag it back towards me very slowly. as long as you dont start digging the top section ( near the end of the disc ) it will smooth out the welds. one major thing to remeber is not to be agressive even with the hard wheel, take the weld seem down slowly and dont leave big gouges as these will be harder to get out after.
i have done plenty of welds like this and made them dissapear to the point where the inspectors that need to UT the welds they cant find them , jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
flyerboy1522
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know that jb weld will fill in any little imperfections and get it a good finished look!!!
flyerboy1522 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Etch, then Bondo.
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I take 'em down with a 60 grit flapper.. run it tipped up a bit to take the weld down quickly. Then, lay it flat and take big strokes to blend it into the surrounding metal. If I'm finishing the steel, I'll run over it flat with a 120 grit flapper prior to shooting primer. Shoot primer, block sand and you can't tell where the patch was.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.