Trailer Restoration HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Trailer Restoration HELP

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-23-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Trailer Restoration HELP

Hey guys, this really isn't a Jeep thing, but I can really use some help with this.

I just got a 6'3" wide by 8' long tilt trailer for my sled. Its rusted, no deck, and needs some work. Hopeing you fab guys could give me some tips on what to do.

The obvious things are a good sand and paint job, new tires, and of course a deck. Its got these long pieces of wood, like decking wood for your house, I guess somehow I'll use that. Here some pics. What do you guys think?

trailer01.jpg   trailer02.jpg   trailer03.jpg   trailer04.jpg  
Unread 09-24-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

I'm starting the project tommorow, come on you fabber's, someone must be of some help

I am going to use a wire wheel and drill tommrow to grind all the paint and rust off. I plan on priming it like twice, then using that cheapo walmart undercoating for the metal. Does that sound good to you guys.
Unread 09-24-2004, 05:10 AM   #3
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Wire wheel on a drill is going to take a while but will work. If you have access to a sandblaster, that might be a bit easier. Not like it is really that rusty though. Paint and throw some boards on that bad boy and haul your sled. Be sure to add some tiedown provisions to the metal frame.

Good luck.

John
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2004, 07:36 AM   #4
390fastback
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rewire the whole thing. Its been my experience with OLD trailers that the wiring has be been spliced and cut and taped and whatever else a ton of times. I've used an old extention cord before, tons of insulation on it, keeps the wires nice and tight together with less chance of something breaking.
68 Wildcat (also in progress)
68 International 1200 4x4
78 F150 4x4 400 4spd
390fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

haha, yeah deffinatly no sand blaster. Most of the rust is on the inside parts of the trailer, its pretty bad in some spots.

That for the wiring advice, I'm gonna buy all new lights and crap, make it nice and purty, haha.
Unread 09-26-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
snofrog

dont forget to check the bearings and add some bearing buddies.Mark
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2004, 03:45 PM   #7
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofrog
dont forget to check the bearings and add some bearing buddies.Mark
How do I check bearings. I tried to see if the wheels had play, like checking bearings on the Jeep, they seemed prety tight. They spinn real smooth too, but I don't know what the'll do with weight on it. What are bearing buddies?
Unread 09-27-2004, 05:44 PM   #8
snofrog

while giving the tires a spin is usually a good indicator of the condition of the bearings i would take it apart and look at them myself just to make sure they are ok,and bearing buddies are replacements for your dust caps with a spring inside and a grease zirt .pump the hub full and the spring kind of keeps it under pressure. also there are some with indicators that will tell you when the grease is getting low in the hub. dont ask me what it is about sled trailers and bearings but i see more than a few sled trailers along the e-ways in season of course with blown out hub bearings.Mark
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2004, 09:33 PM   #9
rickr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
I'm starting the project tommorow, come on you fabber's, someone must be of some help

I am going to use a wire wheel and drill tommrow to grind all the paint and rust off. I plan on priming it like twice, then using that cheapo walmart undercoating for the metal. Does that sound good to you guys.
ever tried naval jelley? the kind i use is made by permatex.brush it on the rusty areas, wait 10 min. and hose it off! caution!!!-- contains sulfuric and phos. acids
anyway, good luck!
rickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2004, 01:32 PM   #10
JKNIPE2000

im not sure where you live...but check around for paint shops and powder coating shops. some of them have roll-through sand blasters that blows sand from both sides and would take the whole trailer down to clean metal in a matter of minutes. you would have to take the axle off of course..but saves a lot of time and isnt too expensive either because its such a quick process. i have a powdercoating shop 1 mile from me that does this type of work for me every once in a while. if you have the extra cash you could even just go ahead and get the powdercoat done...

Currently no Jeep, but I'm in the market
JKNIPE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #11
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Not sayin that is a bad idea at all. Gotta be careful not to go overboard on this stuff.......I am guilty of this...... but If I remember right you can get a new similar trailer for $500 or so or am I way off?

I would sand some rust off, use rust inhibitor if you want, rustoleum rattle can and throw on your lumber. Also fix axles or wiring if needed.
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 11:38 AM   #12
Cherokee-Dan

go to sears and pay 50bucks for a portable sand blaster 50lb capactity it is sweet and very handy!

o|||||o
Cherokee-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 02:43 PM   #13
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

50 bucks thats it, all well, its to late now. I got it all painted and 3/4 of it has wood oon it. The last few pieces are pretty tricky to squeeze, plus I need to use a table saw to slice a 2X4 to a 1X4 Then finally the wire and lights. Thanks for all the help guys.
Unread 10-11-2004, 04:42 PM   #14
Cherokee-Dan

Matt
heres the blaster im gonna get me one w/ my birthday money,http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916706000

o|||||o
Cherokee-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2004, 12:59 PM   #15
mgering

I would advise spending an extra 60 or 70 bucks and getting a pressurized blaster - world of difference. i picked up a Clarke tools blaster for $110 and it is night and day between that and a syphon blaster. Only problem I had with the Clarke is the nozzle is not the best - works perfect, but stress cracks develop everywhere on the plastic. Every one I looked at is like this. Northern Tool sells the same blaster, but with a better nozzle for about $170. Well worth it for a pressurized blaster, but make sure you have a compressor that can keep up. - You almost need a 2 stage for something as demanding as a blaster.

http://www.toolpeddler.com/SB_9008.htm
mgering is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.