JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Fabrication Shop (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/)
-   -   trailer build using a D35 axle (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/trailer-build-using-d35-axle-1632121/)

Rockingdad 09-28-2013 03:50 PM

trailer build using a D35 axle

After swapping out my current dana 35 rear axle in my ZJ for a younger model I'll be left with the spare old axle, upper and lower control mounts, old shocks and a spare pair of springs. Is there a good reason why a couldn't fab mounting points and use it all to make up a camping trailer?

Ive only ever seen leaf springs on trailers, never coil.

Do I need to modify the diff in any way or strip out parts?

This will be my first trailer build although im clear on design and it will pretty much end up as an M416 clone as they are rare as hell in the uk.

Cheers

Rockingdad

schitzangiggles 09-29-2013 03:09 PM

You will have to run the Carrier because it is a "C" clip axle and the axle shafts have to be in and held by the cips or else this will happen

BESRK 09-29-2013 04:54 PM

I think the easy way to locate the axle, is with leaf springs.

Gordon-0 09-30-2013 05:18 AM

Of course if you run the same arms and springs as your current rear axle, BOOM. Spares.

bobjp 09-30-2013 08:06 AM

Anything is possible, but why? Are old trailer axles hard to come by? They're nothing more than tubes with spindles on the end so you could make your own.

A D35 is going to be heavier, have more rotating resistance, and have more of a chance of hanging up.

Rockingdad 09-30-2013 03:00 PM

Well they are going to be sitting here from the axle swap and I have all the arms springs and shocks, just needbto buy another wheel. Axles in the uk tend to be pretty expensive and are pretty mych made for tiny trailer wheels of around vten inches. I figured whilst not only being free the d35 would take a crap load of weight compared to most units in the uk. The trailer would also ride at the same height as the jeep.

schitzangiggles 10-04-2013 07:51 PM

Like I said, just toss iit in there, but remember you have to run it complete.

attackcammel 10-11-2013 01:31 PM

Always thought it would be cool to do that and hook an alternater up to the yoke so you can have batteries in the trailer for camp stuff like lights and radio probably not really practical but thought it would be cool

RenoF250 10-12-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by attackcammel (Post 16756945)
Always thought it would be cool to do that and hook an alternater up to the yoke so you can have batteries in the trailer for camp stuff like lights and radio probably not really practical but thought it would be cool

I never thought of that, cool idea.

Using an old axle is a good idea IMHO, same ride height and spares of everything. Rolling resistance will not be significant the only issue I see is if you want brakes but you could fab some electric trailer brakes on it.

schitzangiggles 10-12-2013 02:40 PM

If you have the alternator geared to generate useful power while crawling, it would esplode at highway speeds. Better solution is to run a 7pin RV plug with a constant 12v power supply already wired in. Charge the batteries with a solar panel and you could feed the trailer batteries with both solar and the jeep batteries.

jason280 10-13-2013 07:44 PM

Considering the axle would be borderline "disposable", couldn't you simply remove the carrier and weld a bead around the shaft to keep it in place? I'm trying to picture the shafts with the carrier and spiders removed in my mind, and it seems like a raised bead around the shaft would keep it from sliding through the inner bearing.

BESRK 10-15-2013 06:45 AM

The axle shafts rely on the carrier/spider gears to center themselves at the spline end.

It's not a big deal to let the diff spin while towing. If you wanted to eliminate the pinion from spinning, you could remove the ring gear from the carrier.. but I'd leave the rest of the guts in the carrier to keep it simple.

wgirvine 10-20-2013 10:02 PM

I've always hated greasing the wheel bearings on trailer axles... keeping track of the time or miles the trailer has, wondering if the bearings were ok whenever I loaned the trailer to a friend. I've seen too many trailers on the side of the freeway with one wheel missing to ignore that bit of maintenance.

So here's what I did... made a trailer out of the back half of an MJ pickup (the front was wrecked.) I got it with no rear axle, but I had a spare D35. So... I removed the ring gear carrier, took off the ring gear, mounted the carrier in my lathe, and turned off the gear flange. Then I took the gutted axle housing and mounted it, pinion up, on the table of my vertical mill. I cut away the about 4 inches of the nose of the housing, then cut a piece of 1/4" plate to shape, drilled and tapped a hole for a fill plug, and welded the plate to the housing nose.

Next I cut off the leaf spring perches, made new perches and welded them on so that the "pinion" nose was pointed straight up. I took a 3/4" thick piece of 6061 aluminum and made a new "rear cover" with a drain plug and countersunk holes for the mounting bolts. Put the carrier and axles back in with new bearings and seals, and filled it 1.5 quarts of gear lube. Now I never have to worry about greasing wheel bearings. :2thumbsup:

wgirvine 10-21-2013 09:18 PM

D35 Trailer Axle

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of pictures of the axle. The trailer isn't finished; I'll add shocks later. In the 2nd pic you can see how much ground clearance it has. I've towed it around some; seems to work well.

The time now is 04:01 AM.